Lynnshire by Don Gardner - kitchen?

Whitney_CJune 11, 2012

Has anyone built the Lynnshire by Don Gardner. I really love the layout but find the kitchen a bit unusual. Here is the link http://www.dongardner.com/plan_details.aspx?pid=2256 - any thoughts on the kitchen?? Are the stove and sink at a weird angle?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
done_again

I haven't built this plan. The kitchen island looks narrow and in the way though. Maybe it should be more of an L-shaped kitchen without the island. I like sinks in front of windows with a view to the yard so that's nice. The utility room is large but the breakfast room is small and closed in. Depending on how you live in the house that side could be changed some.

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 11:37AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joyce_6333

I agree with you. The kitchen is a bit odd. I personally don't like narrow islands with ranges in the middle. Do you really need two entrances into the great room? Maybe closing off the entrance closest to the sink, eliminate the peninsula between the kitchen and the nook. That would give you a really nice L with room for a big island. If you want more openness to the great room, perhaps a bigger arched opening above the counter? Be sure to check on the kitchen forum, lots of great designers over there. Also read the attached link for helpful guidelines.

Couple other things that would bother me. I think the stairs ending in a corner is a problem. A real bottle neck especially for getting furniture up and down. Check the dimensions on your master closet which seems really tight to me. I doubt you'll be able to have rods on all 3 walls. It would be nice to have an outside entrance near the mudroom, instead of always having to go through the garage. The plan without basement has a really, really small mud room/laundry. And check the depth of your porches. Depending on the amount of seating you want, they might be shallow.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great info on kitchen layout

Bookmark   June 12, 2012 at 12:38PM
More Discussions
Dark hardwood vs lighter hardwood floors
I'm trying to decide which type of floors we should...
houserookie
Houston Modern Architect
We are getting to the design stage of building a home...
Elizabeth Burns
Floorplan review please
I would love to get feedback on this floor plan. The...
boonieshome
What are you doing for your security system?
I know that's an extra cost, but I was curious as to...
aimless07
Would you trust a builder to create a blueprint from your own sketch?
We have heard of people building custom without using...
liv2tell
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™