Update on My Post Re: Drywall, Plaster, & Ceiling Hole
I posted a question a week or so ago about my ceiling and dry wall. I also had a rather large hole that needed fixing. It was where the old cast iron vent stack went. Well I am almost finished with the fix and thought I would post my progress and my procedure:
I used a plastic screen type lath, fastened up into the plaster with drywall screws. I couldn't reach one edge so I wedged in a 1x.5" piece of wood lath at one end and overlayed the plastic lath, and I think the screws are pegging the plastic screening in place :) I would have used several pieces of wood lath and screwed them in place but I couldn't get the pieces above the ceiling plaster. And all this insulation crap was falling out onto my head :(
There was a lot of technique getting that piece of plastic screening up there!
Then I took Easysand 20 and filled the screening, it was ugly:
After it dried for several days I took my "California Patch" and slathered a bunch more Easysand 20 on it and wedged it in place. It stayed! It is drying now. As I was trimming away some of the extra Easysand I inadvertently scrapped away some of the sheetrock paper, not the full thickness though. It will need to be gone over with another thin coat of mud, either Easysand or my pre mixed green lidded joint compound. It will need to dry for a long time:
I also took the Easysand 20 and filled the gap along the entire ceiling periphery. After several hours, I took my 5-in-1 tool and shaved it flush with the existing plaster ceiling and made sure everything looked square. The product was still damp and easily shaved.
When all of this dries I will tape up the corners and ceiling junctions using the green lid premix joint compound and a webbed, creased, tape I found. It was sort of expensive, but I only have right angles on this job and I figured it would help make the angles cleaner.
Thanks for everyones input. It was very helpful. Now I just hope this works out ok as I have some thick layers up there.