Asus Laptop

doterooMarch 17, 2013

I just got a new Asus laptop from Walmart.com. Got battery in and plugged it up. Turned it on and got a little blue screen that said something about Windows 7. I put in the disc (notebook PC USERS DRIVER) and nothing happened. I've tried several times and nothing happens. So in fiddling around with it and trying to get used to the mouse I accidentally hit Japanese language. So now I really don't have a clue.
Shouldn't something have happened when I put the disc in? I'm really dreading calling Asus support because most of these companies have people who are very difficult to understand. Thought maybe someone on here could suggest what might be wrong. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

Every computer I've ever bought starts up into windows with no installing anything at all. You really should call the asus support line.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 9:52PM
PKponder TX

Another thought, do they offer tech support through 'chat'? I find that an easy way to communicate with a variety of difficult to understand 'dialects'.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:42PM
SnidelyWhiplash

OP might have gotten screwed up in the Windows setup sequence?

I've dealt with ASUS tech support a few times over the phone and I found them to be very helpful and with good communication skills. I hope you'll have a similar experience. If ASUS fails you, tell Walmart they sent you a dog and they'll very likely do an exchange, my experience with them has been good too.

To each his own, I dislike "chat" support. I've found it frequently to be very time inefficient. What should be a 10 min or less phone call becomes a 30 min chat session. It's not for me, thanks, I'll take my chances with an accent.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:54PM
genes

Yes, once you plugged it in and turned it on, there should have been no reason to put in a disk...the only interaction you should have ran into is when it asked you what you want to call your computer, time zone and language..In your manual, there should be something about recovery to factory settings....

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 7:25AM
doteroo

Thanks for the replies. I called Asus support and got a nice tech who spoke fairly good English and was very patient with me. At first he didn't understand the computer was brand new. Maybe because I mentioned Windows 7. Then he tried to help me restore the system which didn't work. I had already said maybe I should just take it back to Walmart and finally he agreed. Funny but when the Walmart person gave me my computer she said several times if it didn't work right to bring it back. So that's just what I'm going to do!

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 8:37PM
More Discussions
Safe email emoticon download for FF or Chrome?
I don't find a "search" option in the new...
Evenshade 8a
How do I choose a power supply
I have a 300 watt power supply. I want to upgrade...
Pooh Bear
Installing a free Antivirus with Malware included - recommendations
I am setting up my mom's new Asus Win 8.1 laptop. She...
debo_2006
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
setting defaults in Win8.1??
I was attempting to email a photo and it get this message...
carolssis
Sponsored Products
WOW Speaker by KAKKOii
$45.00 | Lumens
Desk Lamps: 11 in. Gooseneck Satin Champagne Desk Lamp 848MG2
$34.99 | Home Depot
Nielson Desk
Grandin Road
Sage Green Wicker Sands Rectangle Coffee Table
Fifthroom.com
Calligraphy Sofa Table
$69.99 | zulily