Questions about Fiberglass Drywall Use

enduringAugust 15, 2013

I am requesting that drywallers use fiberglass drywall for my bathroom everywhere but the shower, and a level 5 finish. What should I look for when talking to the company when they bid the job? Any input would be so helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

My personal opinions only:

Use screws, no nails.

I occasionally get a crew who will still try to tack the board up with a few nails, then they screw it. I usually just have to shred and pull one sheet off the wall/ceiling with the claw of my hammer before they understand what I meant when I wrote in the contract "only screws" and "no nails".

I simply don't like nail pops. They can occur if the framing lumber shrinks and the lumber loses it's grip on the shank of the nail.

Other than that, I do prefer the first batch of mud be a setting compound. It's much more durable. The top coats can be drying compounds.

Level 5 is pretty much defined by what it is. I'd recommend you tell them that when they are done you, or your agent, will inspect the walls with a low raking light, and that the walls will be remediated to your satisfaction prior to final payment. A raking light really shows flaws, and with Level 5, you should have no flaws.

Good luck!

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 8:18PM
ntruro

I've had good results with DensArmor Plus (Georgia Pacific). It's significantly heavier and harder than most paper faced drywall and requires skim coating.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 10:15PM
enduring

Thanks Mongo and Ntruro. I will double check with the drywall folks. They were recommended by the carpenter that did my killer vanity for my soapstone sink, so I'm hoping they are top notch like Brett. They were very nice on the phone the 2 times I've called. They do small jobs and commercial jobs. The installer told me the cost of the fiberglass drywall was 2x the cost of conventional drywall. I told him to give me an estimate for both.8 j He did say that they would be using setting type JC with the last coat drying type JC. I didn't ask about nails verses screws, but I will when I talk to him tomorrow. I will also ask about tape, I read somewhere to not use paper tape for the fiberglass drywall, but to use synthetic.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 10:42PM
More Discussions
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
Help me finish designing bathroom
Need a little help and to ask if you think I'm heading...
fourhappy
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
Grout experts, Fusion Pro, Kerapoxy, Spectralock, Bostik?
Or Tec Power grout? I'm trying to choose something...
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™