Mess left behind

deb2jessJune 6, 2012

This probably seeems silly and petty but who cleans up the mess left behind by the builders? We are contracting our own build hiring people as we go. We are getting really good prices, staying under budget, Yay! I don't mind picking up wood scraps, recycling a few bags of shingle ends etc. but, I got home late today from work , let my dogs out and they ran to the build site to dig through all the fast food trash left by the sheetrockers! There were cans and food trash everywhere! Is this normal? Not sure this came with the bid!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dekeoboe

Do you not have a dumpster? If you are acting as the GC, then you would need to spell out how clean you want the area left in the contracts you have with the people you are hiring.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 6:08PM
GreenDesigns

The GC hires the dumpster and polices the trades to be sure that they use it. When it's full, they call to have it removed or replaced. If your trash is, full, it's time to get a bigger trash or to empty the one you've got. Yes, you.

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 6:39PM
renovator8

This should be spelled out in the sub-contracts and if you are doing the hiring you are responsible for those terms and conditions. If you did not make those standards clear you are at the mercy of the sub-contractors unless the site is in a dangerous condition.

Bookmark   September 4, 2012 at 3:21PM
virgilcarter

Yes, you have received good responses here. The ball's in your court! The good news is that you are saving the fee and expenses normally paid to a GC. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 3:30PM
More Discussions
Spray Foam - Worth it?
I've been asked by several members of my family if...
Improv241
Floor Plan/Kitchen Help - Please :)
I cross-posted this here in Kitchens as well. Please...
kymberie
Beam in ceiling to divide kitchen and breakfast???
Yes. I know this kitchen breakfast room layout is odd....
Bridget Helm
5 panel interior doors
I love this door. I have Trustile- 2 panel, in my present...
ILoveRed
help, is main gable too flat/not enough dimension?
last chance to change it. Will this front elevation...
msmith110705
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™