9 or 10 ft ceilings on the 1st floor

abekkerJune 6, 2014

Please help!!! We are building a 3500 sq ft home.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
abekker

Oops

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:52PM
abekker

Sorry about the plan being sideways

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 10:54PM
carp123

i'd say 10' is becoming the new norm for a large custom home. the subdivision town homes in my area (outside of Toronto) are all 9' now. I think you can't go wrong with 9 or 10. We are doing 10' on the first floor and 9' on second...ours is 3800 sqft.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 11:27PM
Michelle

Ditto what carp said. Ours is 3500 too. 10' first floor, 9' second story.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 11:34PM
abekker

Originally we planned to do 9 on the 1st floor and 8 one the 2nd, but with all the bedrooms having a bumped up ceiling to 9 (like a soffit at 8 ft), then my architect suggested going with 10 on the 1st floor, but keeping the same 8 ft upstairs, which to me just didn't feel right, so I raised the whole 2nd floor to 9, but now I am having second thoughts.

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 11:44PM
abekker

Do you having anything extra in the master like a trey ceiling?

Bookmark   June 6, 2014 at 11:47PM
golfergirl29

A builder pointed out that with a 9 ft ceiling, I can use standard length doors and windows. The 10 ft requires taller doors and windows. I can bump up in certain areas to make it seem like 10 without doing the whole house (but mine is 1-story).

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 1:26PM
musicgal

If you go 10, it will feel more expansive and expensive:-) But, I am loving our 10 foot ceilings and 8 foot doors. I see you have a lovely piano. Nice.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 3:47PM
musicgal

BTW- We have tray ceilings in two of our rooms with indirect lighting above the trim. And... on your other thread, ignore the bashers. Best wishes on your build.

Bookmark   June 7, 2014 at 3:50PM
abekker

Thank you all for your help.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 8:34AM
abekker

I love the rope lighting look. Not sure which room to choose for it.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 10:30PM
Skyangel23

we will have 10 ft. ceilings. Production builds do 9 ft. I definitely would not go lower than 9 ft. 10 is really nice to, though.

Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 11:37PM
neroselover

We did 10 on our main floor and 8 upstairs for the bedrooms.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 12:35AM
abekker

Neroselover, do you regret not doing 9 upstairs? My architect offered 10 and 8 upstairs, but I am afraid the height difference will be very noticeable.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 8:09AM
neroselover

We aren't in the house yet - about 2 - 3 months out still, but it hasn't really bothered me.

We have 8 ft. in our bedrooms right now and it's fine. Any company that we have over will not be in our upstairs, as it's only bedrooms, so they won't see it.

Our own bedroom (upstairs) in the new house is vaulted.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:27AM
abekker

Thanks.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 2:45PM
northpolehome

We are doing 10 ft on the main floor as well, with regular doors. Our current house has double vaulted ceilings for most of the main floor, and we only have regular doors. We will have 9 ft in the basement, but only 8 ft on the 2nd floor. Same with neroselover, only bedrooms upstairs. But I would have changed it if I had the chance at the beginning (complicated negotiations). If I change it now, the builder will charge me an arm and a leg, maybe more haha! I love chandeliers so I am not loving the 8ft :/

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 4:20PM
snuffycuts99

Wow, so many people doing 10 ft. on the main floor. Now I'm second guessing the fact that we went with 9 ft. But the foyer and great room are two story rooms...if they weren't I think I would have gone with 10 ft. I like open and airy.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 7:47PM
neroselover

We are doing 9 ft. in the basement, like northpolehome. So, 10 ft. on main, 8 ft. upstairs for bedrooms (master is vaulted), and 9 ft in the basement.

Bookmark   June 9, 2014 at 11:35PM
nepool

We are doing 12 ft in the foyer, 15ft vaulted family/dining room, 10 ft in the study, and 9 ft everywhere else including the basement. We have a ranch with a walkout basement so very flexible when it comes to selecting heights.

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 8:35PM
AngelaZ

Our architect convinced us that visually, they eye doesn't truly appreciate much difference between 9' and 10' ceilings.

We were fine with 9' (except for the vaulted living room) in our home because we want it to feel cozy (even at 3000 sq feet). Our last house had 10' ceilings that did make it seem very open, but 9' seemed to suit our house plan this time.

Also, another factor I won't deny considering- if I'm not wrong, there is a noticeable price jump in going to 10' due to the extra framing, drywall and painting?

Bookmark   June 10, 2014 at 8:40PM
zorroslw1

I would do 9 ft down and 8 ft up to cozy the bedrooms.
We have a 1 story and have 13 ft vaulted in the great room, kitchen, dining
And 8 ft elsewhere. Haven't moved in yet, but wanted space in the living areas.

Bookmark   December 26, 2014 at 3:30PM
Zoe52

We are building a fully custom home. Both first and second floor have 9' ceilings with two story front foyer and great room. The Bonus room over the garage which we will be finishing for my husband's office has 8' ceilings.

Bookmark   December 26, 2014 at 4:34PM
Michelle

As you can see from my post in June, I had planned on 10' ceilings on main floor. But it was one of the casualties of the budget cuts we did. We're just finishing up framing and ended up with 9' on all three floors. I'm really really bummed I didn't fight harder for my 10'. I'm really noticing the lower height, especially in designing the fireplace and builtins.

Bookmark   December 26, 2014 at 4:44PM
Michelle

As you can see from my post in June, I had planned on 10' ceilings on main floor. But it was one of the casualties of the budget cuts we did. We're just finishing up framing and ended up with 9' on all three floors. I'm really really bummed I didn't fight harder for my 10'. I'm really noticing the lower height, especially in designing the fireplace and builtins.

Bookmark   December 26, 2014 at 4:52PM
More Discussions
Beam in ceiling to divide kitchen and breakfast???
Yes. I know this kitchen breakfast room layout is odd....
Bridget Helm
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Floor Plan/Kitchen Help - Please :)
I cross-posted this here in Kitchens as well. Please...
kymberie
Can I get a closet in/next to an 8'x8' ensuite bath?
I have 8'x8' inside the walls for a bath, and I'd like...
edwardshome
House Looks Small Framed?!
our home is 3200 ft.², by no means small in my opinion....
23meghan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™