tile "cliff" - not right by anyone's standards

robin11034August 26, 2012

Hello once again!

I've been reading the archives hoping to find a similar situation which would then indicate that this tile that sticks out (and the one above it) is the norm. Is it a case of "that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes" and "we'll just have to live with it"?

These tiles stick out between an eighth and a quarter of an inch. The tile on the right is a bullnose tile at the edge of the shower and this is right at eye level. This will annoy the crap out of me every time I get in the shower.

Dh plans on talking with the tile guy, but we want to know what you all think so we are at least a little informed.

Thanks!

Robin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beeps

I think it looks like crap and needs to be fixed. Sorry if that is too blunt! I'd also worry about water damage since it appears the one tile is essentially pushed out almost the whole depth of the tile. That's a do-over.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 4:02PM
beeps

Isn't 1/16th of an inch the allowable lippage? Sorry, forgot to mention that in first post. I think that is the term you need to look for when googling and preparing to speak with your tile guy. Some of the tile folks will certainly have better info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Info on lippage

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 4:06PM
bill_vincent

For square edged tile, even 1/16 would be extreme. That would be about the most that I'd consider letting go, ONLY of it weren't anywhere near eye level. What you have there needs to be redone.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 5:03PM
terriks

I'd also worry about water damage since it appears the one tile is essentially pushed out almost the whole depth of the tile.

Uneven tiles have nothing to do with waterproofing. The waterproofing is done under the tile, since both tile and grout can allow water to get past them.
But that much lippage is unacceptable.

Bookmark   August 26, 2012 at 9:47PM
robin11034

I believe we have a solution. He is going to build up under the tiles near that edge. He used the Schlueter system under the tiles as the water barrier. It sounded very reasonable to me from what he explained and the very little I read about it and definitely better than what was there before.

Thanks!
Robin

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 8:56AM
bill_vincent

GOod deal.

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 10:22PM
More Discussions
40" for double vanity, any suggestions?
Hi, We are remodeling our bathroom and would like a...
rickyk22
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
Seeking Skirted Toilet with Good "Water Spot"
I am replacing an old toilet that was one of the early-generation...
sahmmy_gw
Bathtub width - Kohler Archer?
I am looking for a bathtub that has a deeper soak (my...
lineterry
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™