Deck mount handheld sprayer in shower/tub alcove?

piscesgirlAugust 28, 2013

Ok, so we are in the planning stages of our hall bathroom.

The bathroom will have an alcove tub/shower combo, and I am planning on installing a half glass shower door on hinges.

I want to install a handheld sprayer (we currently don't have one). My dear husband HATES the look of the handheld sprayer hoses dangling down and he really doesn't want to install one. Of course he isn't the one who cleans the bathroom and has no clue how much of a PITA it is to take a cup of water and splash it against the walls to clean the tub/shower.

He asked me if the hose can be recessed in the wall (which I have never seen done and correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think you can do) or if you can have it as a deck mount?

I saw a couple of pictures of deck mounted sprayers in an alcove shower/tub application on Houzz (see attached picture).

Any concerns or issues with doing this sort of application? My obvious concern is that the sprayer has a tight seal so that water isn't leaking in.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

No experience, but I would think you'd want an access panel to get to the hose so that it can be changed out if needed. The image you show looks great. I would never again have a shower/tub without some form of sprayer option for the same reason you mentioned. But I always used a wash tub, filled it, and threw the water at the walls :) What a PIA! The access panel could be incorporated in the wood surround of the drop in tub.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 6:54PM
shanghaimom

Have you shown him lots of photos of beautiful, high-end handheld shower heads? I just can't imagine how some sort of recess could improve the look. It seems like an area to trap mildew and gunk.

We have both a handheld in the shower and a deck-mount on the tub. The deck-mount hoses are not quite long enough to be useful for cleaning a shower. You would be pointing it straight up--not a huge improvement over the cup/splashing method we have all HATED living with, I'm afraid. They are nice for rinsing your hair when you're in the tub, and rinsing the tub.

Bookmark   August 28, 2013 at 7:31PM
piscesgirl

enduring - yes we will have an access panel because we will have an air bathtub (at least that is the current plan).

shanghaimom - Yes, DH has seen plenty of pictures of nice handheld showerheads, and we actually just purchased one for our masterbath. But he still doesn't like them and this bathroom will have marble walls (master is white subway) and I think he doesn't want anything hanging in front of the marble.

As for the hose length. I was looking at Newport Brass last night and you can purchase the hose, handheld and mount type (deck, bar, holder) all separately. The hose length is the same no matter what mounting method - 59" which seems long enough to me....our shower/tub is only 60"x30" so i think we will be fine.

So I take it, it can be done and there shouldn't be any issues???

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 9:43AM
shanghaimom

The handheld deck-mounts are not seated "tightly" but should be plenty tight enough to avoid water leaking in as long as it doesn't get accidentally bumped. When it is sitting squarely in it's spot, no water will leak in, at least on ours.

That hose sounds plenty long for rinsing the walls.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 11:43AM
piscesgirl

Awesome. Just what I wanted to hear. This should make my DH very happy.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 3:09PM
piscesgirl

Awesome. Just what I wanted to hear. This should make my DH very happy.

Bookmark   August 29, 2013 at 5:19PM
Anna_in_TX

Just in time for my remodel. I love the idea of installing the handheld in an alcove.

Another idea I got off of one of the plumbing forums for Roman faucet handhelds in order to service the hose more easily since most problems with Roman faucets are in the handheld hose- install a plumbing flexible hose directly to the rough in - one that will reach past the deck opening. And then attach the sprayer hose to that. This makes it such to where you don't have to get to the Roman faucet rough to replace the hose.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 10:51AM
jewelisfabulous

We have a Moen deck mounted hand-held sprayer. The hose is concealed inside the frame work around the tub. We don't ever see it until we pull the sprayer out. When done, the hose retreats back.

Bookmark   March 13, 2014 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
? Factory sealed carrera tile- anyone??
I went to the tile store today and was planning on...
amspinn
Thinking about the new Bain Geysair Oval Plus. Opinions/Exp?
Hi, I think this really is the time we are actually...
raehelen
Family of 5 - only 1 1/2 bathrooms. What would you do?
We are an active family of 5 and our bathroom situtation...
rebeccamomof123
Nervous about going curbless, need to decide this week. Issues, cons?
To be quite frank, we'd be doing this for looks only....
happyallison
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™