Help with hanging Red Christmas Bows Please?

gardenbugDecember 1, 2012

I want to hang 2 large red velvet bows on my shutters but have no idea how to do this. I can't nail them on, tack or do anything that would ruin the shutters on my home. Last year I put them up with a contact hook but they kept blowing off in the wind. Do any of you have any ideas how I can do this without ruining my shutters. The shutters don't have slats, they are flat. I'm open to any/all suggestions. Thanks soooo much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
milosmom_gw

I'm not sure if you meant the contact hook itself blew off or just the wreath.
My first thought was one contact hook on top and one on the bottom then wire the wreath to both hooks. Kind of an anchor system to prevent "wind wobble".
Not sure if it'll work though or not.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 7:32PM
GulfportGail

What about a couple Command strip and wire each loop of your bow to the hooks?
I've had pretty good luck with them.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 8:06PM
gardenbug

Sorry, I didn't mean to say that I used a contact hook. It was a Command hook. I'll check out the strips. Thank you for these suggestions.

Bookmark   December 1, 2012 at 9:40PM
dawnp

Cadence,

What about a wreath hanger hooked over the top of the shutter? Then you could attach the bow to the hook on the hanger.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 5:26PM
gardenbug

Fantastic idea. I'd have to figure out a way so as not to see the hanger. If the hanger was close the same color as the shutter (dark green) that could possibly work. Thanks Dawn.

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 10:27PM
party_music50

OMG, dawnp, that is such a fantastic idea! I'd have never thought of using a door wreath hanger.

cadence, you could easily find a can of dark green spray paint and use it to make the hangers blend w/ the shutters.

I was going to suggest trying to slip long strips of fabric around each shutter -- both vertically and horizontally -- and then attach the bow where the fabric strips intersect, just like you'd do with a wrapped present. :)

Bookmark   December 2, 2012 at 11:11PM
dawnp

Glad to help. I think they have clear hangers. Also, Party Music's idea of painting is great too!

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:54AM
swest2_gw

We hung large bows from our light fixtures located on either side of our garage. I bent wire clothes hangers into a "W", attached the bow to the hanger and used the hook to hang onto the fixtures. Really like the wreath hanger for the shutters, brilliant solution.

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 12:10PM
gardenbug

I love the idea of the wreath hanger. It's such a simple solution. OMG..I don't know why I didn't think of that. Duh!
Thanks again dawnp and everyone else for all your wonderful ideas. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 10:07PM
lynnencfan

I love this group - I never would of thought of the door wreath hangers - what an obvious solution - good job gals with all the suggestions .....

Lynne

Bookmark   December 3, 2012 at 11:34PM
More Discussions
Five Easy Vignette Tips
Link Here is a link that might be useful: Tips
yachter123
Mardi Gras Breakfast
Getting ready for tomorrow. For more information and...
oldalgebra
After Christmas
Simple table. As a lot of you know, my son & 3...
yachter123
Decorating Son's House
First of the photos
yachter123
Toddler' February Art
For all you grandmothers out there: Materials: One...
oldalgebra
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™