Is Cast Iron What it Used to Be 30 Years Ago?

monicakm_gwAugust 12, 2014

When we built our home in 1981, we installed 3 Kohler cast iron sinks. One of them is still in use today (the one that's being ripped out asap!). They served us well. In 2002, I got another Kohler cast iron sink. The finish isn't wearing as well as the first cast iron kitchen sink. I'm considering the Kohler Bellwether tub because it's cast iron. Frankly, we were pleased with our Kohler enamel over steel tubs but they don't seem to have a very good reputation with this crowd. I have to think the quality has diminished because, again, our two enameled steel tubs from Kohler served us well. There is a small chip in DH's tub but it has never "grown" or developed rust.
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
spielbass

A salesperson at a local supply house gave me an opinion that they are not as good quality as in years past since they are mostly made overseas, maybe China. I was interested in the Bellwhether also but opted for acrylic so I wouldn't have to deal with the 325 lb. beast.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 2:38AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

I got the Bellwether 60x30" it fits a standard alcove drain setup. I don't believe the original Bellwether will. The original B has a very short bottom and slanted front end and back end, while the 60x30 (newer version) only slants in the back. I have been very happy with mine. I have used it daily for a year without issue. I realize the question can only be answered in 20 or 30 years LOL. I have also installed a Kohler cat iron shower pan recently and I am very happy with this.

I would call Kohler and ask if all their tubs are made in the US. I just assumed they were made here. I linked a video from their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler cast iron video

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 6:57AM
More Discussions
Turning a kitchen into a bathroom
Hi all. My husband and I bought the condo next door...
amanda8877
Hot Water Heater Size Based on Shower Fixtures
Hi, I don't post a lot, but I am eternally grateful...
Vanessafox
Tere-stone anyone?
Does anyone have any experience with Tere-stone as...
coffeehaus
108 year old claw foot tub stamped HYS
I've been having a very hard time trying to identify...
flippincrazy
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™