Freestanding range vs slide in

mattallJuly 15, 2008

Please apologize for my ignorance but what are the differences between a freestanding and slide in range other than the backsplash in the freestanding? And if you are putting it between cabinets why would you choose one over the other. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

A slide-in range is less deep than a free-standing range and is made to overlap the countertop for a more built-in look. You also need a strip of countertop behind the range as well. By the way, the pro-style free-standing ranges (e.g. Wolf, DCS, Bluestar, etc.) don't have the backsplash in the back either. Generally there are fewer models of slide-in ranges with fewer features and they're more expensive than free-standing ranges - you pay a premium for the look.

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 6:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
markw

The distinction is not reliably the backsplash or lack of it; as weissman points out, there are free-standing ranges without backsplashes and there are also slide-in ranges *with* backsplashes. The only distinction between the two that is always reliable (I think :)) is that free-standing ranges are finished on the sides with a sheet metal "skin". In other words, they can be at the end of a cabinet run or by itself - "free-standing". Slide-ins are not finished on the sides and therefore *must* be installed between cabinets unless you're into a very industrial look.

It's true that *typically* (but not always), as weissman wrote, a slide-in overlaps the adjacent counter - no gap. Most lack the backsplash and so oven controls must be on the front. In free-standing, the electronics usually go in the backsplash and so generally do not need a cooling fan. Without the backsplash, a slide-in's electronics end up wedged between oven and cooktop and very often are cooled by a fan. Some people complain about either the noise or where the hot air comes out on some models. Finally, as weissman also wrote, by shopping for slide-in, you identify yourself as somebody willing to pay extra bucks for a "look" and so manufacturers charge more. You get less bang-for-the-buck in terms of features/specs per dollar.

Bookmark   July 15, 2008 at 7:31PM
More Discussions
self cleaning oven racks
Almost all oven manufacturers require removing oven...
dickross
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
Has anyone dealt with any members from AutomaticWasher.org
I am curious to know if anyone has spoken with any...
anthony1717
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
NY - Long Island Kitcken Appliance (Berta/Electrolux/etc...)
Hi All... I've been lucking for the past 6 months while...
nyli2014
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™