Slippery Bathtub - Help!

MercerMAugust 30, 2013

I'm looking for a new 60 x 32 deep soaking acrylic alcove tub. All cast iron and acrylic tub bottoms seem to be VERY SLIPPERY. People say that even tubs that come with textured bottoms, integrated or factory-applied "anti-slip" gripping are very slippery.

I could, of course, use a bathmat but I've heard that a bathmat will not stick to so-called "anti-slip" surfaces. And I'm considering a tub that has this kind of surface, namely the Mirabelle Edenton alcove tub. All Jacuzzi and Kohler tubs also seem to come standard with this coating.

I'm concerned since my senior citizen mother will be using the tub. Any insight on these "anti-slip" surfaces? What do you do to prevent slipping? Any suggestions as to specific brands/models of 60 x 32 deep soaking alcove (integral flange) tubs that are not slippery or with which I could use a bath mat? It's been hard to find an alcove soaker that does not have a non-slip surface with which I could safely use a bath mat. Any recommendations?

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MizLizzie

Nothing is going to be super attractive, but I have used these translucent treads from Amazon with great success. You just have to follow the alcohol prep process. I've yet to had one peel and have used them in 3 locations, for just the reason you mention -- senior cit mom. ;-) They come in a couple of different sizes, I think, but always get this size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shower Treads

Bookmark   August 30, 2013 at 4:49PM
pharaoh

Nix the bathtub. They are terribly dangerous for the elderly. Instead put in a walk in shower (curbless).

Better for resale, better for safety, better for looks.

Bookmark   September 1, 2013 at 2:03PM
nancyinmich

After going ass over teakettle in a new hotel tub, I use the toweling bathmats in the tub now. You have to pick it up and hang it over something to dry, but a thick cotton rug-type mat is comfy, too.

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 4:29PM
gabbythecat

That's what I was going to say, Pharaoh. Bathtubs are terribly dangerous for elderly people - how do they get up and out of a bathtub - that is wet and slippery - and onto a solid, dry surface? Even if they have grab bars, that is a terribly dangerous thing to do. The only thing - many elderly people are only happy with a tub bath. So - what do you do for them?

Bookmark   September 8, 2013 at 4:56PM
MercerM

nancy_in_mich, Do I understand you correctly? Do you mean you use the toweling bath mat INSIDE the tub when you shower? If so, how well does that work to prevent slipping?

I've only used a toweling bath mat on the floor outside the shower.

Thanks.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
air /jacuzzi tub help. need to decide ASAP
http://www.costco.com/Access-Tubs-Venetian-Dual-System-Bathtub.product.100057666.html I...
matdrew
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Wall Mural (Photo Wallpaper, Photo Tile or Hire Artist?)
We have one wall in bath that's a hand-painted mural....
stevemac00
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™