24' wide and 8' tall closet doors flank front door, 6 or 3 panel?

threeapplesJune 24, 2012

In typing the subject of this post I realized my need for advice is complicated. Here's the situation:

Our front door is a 6 panel and will have a spiderweb fanlight transom and sidelights. The ante room door will have the same transom and sidelights (unless some of you make a strong case for something else). The foyer is dark and so these transoms and sidelights should help. Because of this darkness my husband suggests we have the ante room door glass instead of wood, but I feel as though this will be too much "pattern" with the glass around the door, the rectangular lites of the door, and then we also have a black and white checker floor. Do you have recs on what to do the ante room door in?

Now, the closet doors that flank the ante room door will be 24" wide by 8' tall. This will look terrible in 6-panel because of the proportions, right? Do we do 3 panel instead even though all the doors in the house are 6-panel? What say you, Garden Web?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

Why not a big pane of glass for the anteroom door with top and bottom rails and the stiles the same as the paneled doors.

Three panel on the closet doors instead of six because of the narrow width. Proportion trumps number.

The windows on the top stories of many period houses with 6-6 sashon the lower floors, are 3-3 with a proportion similar to the lites below.

Some have been replaced with 6-6, resulting in a cluttered window with horizontal looking lites.

Proportion is more important, and the width of those panels if you did 6 on such a narrow tall door would be sliver-like.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 10:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
threeapples

i'm worried now about the windows!!!!!

ok, i'll do a 3-panel door for the closets, but the one pane of glass for the ante room door sounds contemporary and sort of commercial even, no? any other options up your sleeve, palimpsest? by the way, i intend to email you via your GW email.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
Need Advice On What To Do Next
My wife and I have our hand drawn plans of our home....
ghjtyubnm
What is your favorite feature about your house?
Do you have one or several favorite features or a...
Darla Grossman
window cuts in concrete foundation pour question
Hello, I had a quick question regarding a 9' poured...
jim8153
Desireable slope for drainage away from house and garage?
We're building a rectangular-ish house with an attached...
lookintomyeyes83
Door heights and sliding door
We are remodeling a small apartment in a modern high...
tzameret
Sponsored Products
Natural Triple-Cube Plus Bookcase
$39.99 | zulily
Burlap Print 20 1/4" Wide Bronze Ceiling Light
Lamps Plus
ClosetMaid SuiteSymphony 25 in. Shoe Shelves - 8913
$39.99 | Hayneedle
A & E Mobile Bookcase - 500292C
$322.00 | Hayneedle
Bamboo 2-tier Turntable Tray
Overstock.com