standard height for bathroom vanities?

tomalyseAugust 24, 2007

Is there a standard height for bathroom vanities/sinks? Our current vanity is @ 29" high and will be removed in our remodel. I have always thought it was a little low. My DH thinks that this is a standard height. Advice needed to figure out what would look right and be reasonable for future owner if we sell in a few years.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scottmel

My old vanity - 10 years - was 29 too. The "new" standard height is around 33. There is an exact number to it like 33 1/8 or 32 1/8 but it is right about there b/c the fellow told me to add 1.5 inches more for my countertop height and I remember thinking it was around 35 then...

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 4:41PM
igloochic

A lot of people are using kitchen height cabinets now (which normally have so many more functions than a vanity). Standard height with countertops for those is 36" high. They're becoming more and more popular as folks realize they don't need to stoop to use the sink in their bathroom. So with that in mind, you could use just about any height between 30 and 36" and have no problems with your sale.

One thing to think about....if you're using kitchen height cabinets for your bath, remember that the sink mount makes a difference in the final design. I originally had 36" (finished size) planned for our master and changed to a finished 30" cabinet because our vessel sinks were too high up on the higher cabinets.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 5:51PM
momskitchen

We're geezers-in-training so we are going with the 36" height. We are also putting in a comfort height toilet, 36" doors, and a shower without a door that would allow for a "roll in". If we stay in the house forever it is Good to Go for wheelchair access. If we sell it, we can advertise the bathroom as handicapped accessible. Except for those high counters I guess. Unfortunately, my bad back needs them.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 9:28PM
arleneb

We put cabinet heights in all bathrooms in this house and will do it again. The only problem is small grandkids trying to wash hands!

Small warning: In two bathrooms we used cabinets that were actual vanities. In the master bathroom, because of the configuration, we used actual kitchen cabinets. What no one thought to tell me is that kitchen cabinets are deeper front to back than vanity cabinets, so they stick out a few inches from the tall storage cabinets at each end. I'm okay with the look, but it might be a not-so-welcome surprise for someone else.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 10:58PM
printersdevil

We just had ours raised to kitchen height in a recent remodel. I love them and so does my back and neck. We don't have little ones around very much, but my young neices and nephew aren't too impressed with them. I have to get a cute stool for them.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 11:03PM
mpwdmom

Our new master bath vanity is 35" high. And when we do the guest bath we will do the same. It feels comfortable.

Bookmark   August 24, 2007 at 11:54PM
ashlander

We also chose 36" for our master bath vanity. Old vanity was 32". It felt too low for us. We love the new height.
(We're 5'6" & 5'11")
For our main/guest bathroom, which is used by grandkids a lot, we compromised and chose 34" vanity.

Bookmark   August 25, 2007 at 2:38AM
More Discussions
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Marble bathroom question?
I am a lurker on this forum and have learnt a lot from...
sokool1
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™