APC battery backup problems

sugar_flMarch 26, 2011

I bought an APC backup & it has a CD to install but when I try I get an error message.

Of course the help # is closed for the weekend.. I hope maybe some of U know what the problem is.

I'm pretty sure it is hooked up right. Is it protecting my computer?

Thanks for any help,

Dar

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen

Do you have the UPC connected to the computer via the USB cable? Is the connection good on both ends of the cable?

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 5:01PM
kudzu9

I'm assuming you have:
1) Connected the backup to the computer with the appropriate cables? And you have connected directly to a USB port without going through a hub? And you are using a power cord if the unit has one and it's necessary?
2) Checked to make sure this software edition is compatible with whatever your operating system version is?
3) Have read the install instructions and release notes for the backup?

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 5:02PM
mike_kaiser_gw

APC's desktop software allows you to communicate with the UPS via a USB cable to change settings, get the status of the UPS, and most importantly allows for an orderly shutdown of the operating system should the UPS run out of battery power.

From the message, I'd suspect that you don't have the UPS connected to the computer via a USB cable. Before you run out for a cable, you might want to look at the UPS. There are two kinds of USB cables A-A and A-B. The A connector is the rectangular one, a B connector is square (and most often used for printers). My APC UPS uses an A-B cable. Buy the cheapest cable you can find.

A connector on the left, B connector on the right.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 5:56PM
sugar_fl

AHA a lite just went off in my head.. They gave me one. I've had this for a couple of weeks & wondered what that cable was for then completely forgot about it..They were in different places. This isn't my 1st APC but the others didn't have a cable. The instructions were not good at all. Now I need to pull the APC to the front & connect it... That isn't an easy job but a strong cane (my late husbands) helps & the metal yard stick(was his again is a big help. This desk is not made to be easy to hookup things..it was his again. I had to leave my desk in VA when I moved.
I will turn the computer off before I do this.
I knew I could depend on all of U..Thanks guys (and gals)
Dar

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 8:37PM
sugar_fl

That was easy..Only problem which isn't really a problem is I had to connect it to the front..I've ran out of USB ports.
I have a hub but afraid it is too old. I have had it for about 10 years. Is it good on this Win 7 computer?
Dar

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 9:12PM
bpgreen

The hub may be good, but if it's that old, it might be USB 1.0, which would be slow. I wouldn't hook up the UPS through a hub.

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 9:31PM
sugar_fl

bp I believe it is a 1.0..that is why I haven't used it. It was bought for my 98 computer. WalMart here doesn't have any so I'll have to order it. NO, I would put something like the speakers or printer on one. Plug & play is good but needs
more USB ports (guess that's what they are called.)
Dar

Bookmark   March 26, 2011 at 10:12PM
mike_kaiser_gw

I might suggest that a metal yard stick and computers (or anything with electricity) aren't a good mix. There's a chance you'd short something out and damage yourself or your computer. Use a wooden yard stick. ;-)

And, yes, try to connect the UPS directly to your computer via the USB cable.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 4:46AM
sugar_fl

Mike,
I already thought of that but all I'm doing is pushing the cord through on the floor.. then I get it & plug it in. I don't have a wood one. I don't come in contact with the computer at all. I can't move the desk & can't reach behind without help. I need help in both direction.. There is so any wires it is hard to drop them down as the desk is close to the wall.
Dar

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 8:00AM
DA_Mccoy

If you ever decided to purchase a new hub consider a powered model rather than a model that just splits for multiple sources.

DA

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Password needed for Avast?
Computer is going on 1 yr old and I've been getting...
breenthumb
free downloader for youtube videos to use in powerpoint?
I used to be able to download videos for use in my...
jean001a
I-Pad Backup Help or Need?
I need advise on or need for backing up my wife's I-pad. Wife...
chas045
MacBook--Image Frozen on Screen
Anyone know what this means? (or how to rotate the...
error message
All of o sudden when I started up my machine this PM...
Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
Sponsored Products
Solar Powered Flickering Monarch Butterfly
Overstock.com
Malibu Outdoor Lighting. 4 Piece Triple Function LED Solar Outdoor Mahogany Cros
$39.97 | Home Depot
Crosley Revolution USB Turntable - CR6020A-BL
$69.95 | Hayneedle
Poly Concepts Jefferson Andure 48 Round Dining Table
$698.70 | LuxeDecor
GE Travel Lighting Battery Operated 3.5 in. LED Red Book Light 17280
$8.00 | Home Depot
Oval Rodeo Clock
$291.90 | Bellacor
Norman Worn Gray Table Clock
$98.00 | Bellacor
Wall Retro Outdoor Down Light