Whirlpool Home Freezer

cdstillmanJuly 6, 2013

Hello,

I have a pretty old freezer that hasn't been plugged in for years. Plugged it in, units gets cold, but not nearly cold enough. There is a temp. controller that is set to the coldest.
Model: EH15OFXWN00
Date: 9102
Type: C420-W7YULD
Takes R12, can/should I charge the R12 tank, is that even legal anymore?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jwvideo

You will need a substitute as R12 has been banned since 1994.

My recollection is that there are a couple of substitute refrigerants. The one I recall was called R134a. Retrofit to R-134a used to be incompatible with the mineral oil used as lubricants in R12 systems so you had to extract any remaining freon, completely flush the system, replace any rubber hoses, check for leaks, then re-lubricate and refill the system. Doesn't seem like a home handyman thing. Maybe there are some new versions of R134a and the lubricants and the hoses? Maybe jakvis can speak to this?

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 5:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dadoes

This not work suitable for the typical home handyman. I do believe It's illegal per Federal law to handle chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) without certification/training, and possibly illegal to add refrigerant to a leaking system without repairing the leak.

A home freezer (or refrigerator) doesn't have rubber hoses. The system lines are copper or aluminum tubing that's welded-sealed.

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Over & Under refrigerator advice/options
I am remodeling my kitchen and planning to use separate...
uscpsycho
Oven size vs cabinet size
In my search for a new oven I noticed that all have...
dickross
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
48 inch Bertazoni Dual Fuel or MIELE Range and Combi Oven Steamer
I am putting my options of getting the range. I have...
hkwan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™