vanity lights -- shine upwards or downwards?

awm03August 31, 2012

Currently, we have a 3-light fixture that shines downwards on a mirror in a small powder room. The light I'm thinking of getting is only 2 lights, which is okay for the small room, but also points upwards, which may not be okay. Does anybody have an upward-pointing vanity light over a mirror? Is the mirror too dark for your liking because the light doesn't shine directly on it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertsteph

I like mine open downward - easier to change bulbs AND bugs don't fall in and die in the globe area.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 8:40PM
awm03

Two very good points. Thanks, desertsteph!

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 9:54PM
islanddevil

I have one bathroom a 3 light fixture mounted open end up. It could go either way I just preferred it up to take up some wall space rather than downward in front of the mirror. The shades are frosted glass so plenty of light, no weird shadows, not any more complicated to change the bulb, and I like that I don't see the bulbs. Just personal preference I think.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 10:08PM
mydreamhome

I agree with island above--it really comes down to personal preference. I prefer mine to shine upwards because the heat that comes off regular bulbs is just too much when I'm getting ready. Ours shone down in the old house and up in the new house--what a difference! As you are talking about direction in a powder room, it likely won't make as big a difference, so I would point them in the direction that you like best.

As far as changing the bulb goes, I find there is less risk of dropping the bulb if the threads don't quite catch when the fixture is mounted shining upwards.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 12:37AM
awm03

Thanks, mydreamhome, your experience is a big help.

I ended up buying a different fixture, a 2 light candle type with shades, so light will shine up AND down. 120 watts should be plenty for this room.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 10:35AM
nhbaskets

Our vanity lights were just installed yesterday. We have two fixtures each with 3 lights pointing down. The lights are rated for 60 watt bulbs, which is what we put in. Love the light, but they do put off some heat! Today we purchased some 40 watt bulbs and will give those a try. I'm just grateful for having lights after 4+ months. Good luck!

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 2:03PM
springroz

Yep, nhbaskets, I feel your pain, and joy!! Mine were finally installed last week, after 5 months! Today DH and friend put up the ceiling fan in our master.... All of this after paying many thousnds to GC's electrician! I have only undercabinet light in my kitchen, so I suppose they were waiting until they could make a BIG mess, instead of doing it while the house was VACANT!

Nancy

Bookmark   September 2, 2012 at 6:56PM
More Discussions
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Master Bath Reveal - Small space, big style
We don't have the bathroom shade installed yet, but...
piscesgirl
Vote Now on Color Plan 1, 2, or 3!
I have been planning the bathroom remodel for two years...
nancyinmich
Finishing touches – Towel Ring location, need opinions
Hello. My bathroom is starting to come together and...
mrsshayne
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
Sponsored Products
Light Gold Graphic Illusions Rug
$39.99 | zulily
Gauntlet Gray Ovo Table Lamp
$99.99 | Lamps Plus
Avanity ELLE-VS24-PW Elle 24 Inch Wall Mounted Vanity in Pear Wood finish
$675.00 | Blue Bath
CS011 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
T5 36chL Ultra Slim 1 Fluor. Cabinet White Di
PLFixtures