white grout/tile on shower floor: okay or problematic?

NewEnglandSaraAugust 14, 2014

Hi there,

I am continuing to worry about picking shower floor tiles! :-) Our shower walls are going to be 4 X 10 white subway tiles, and we have selected an accent tile in stacked Azure blue glass (from the Ann Sacks "budget line.")

http://www.annsacks.com/onlinecatalog/program.jsp?cat=268004&coll=268304&prg=3369204

The sales associate at Ann Sacks highly recommended using frosted Azure 1 inch penny rounds or squares on the shower floor with white grout OR using a white stacked tile in Rice Paper or white with white grout. All of these tiles are beautiful, but my husband and I are very worried about how the white tile/white grout will hold up. In our previous house, we had white penny rounds (edged in a sort of greyish color) with white grout. Both the grout and the tiles got dirty looking, although friends suggested that the issue was with unsealed grout, hard water stains and/or maybe the wrong type of grout.

Do others have white grout and/or tile on the shower floor? If so, how has it held up? Any tips on particular types of grout to use that hold up better than others? Sealers to suggest? I welcome any input. If you have frosted glass on your shower floor, I also welcome your thoughts. We are hoping to order by Saturday for tax-free weekend in Massachusetts.

Thanks so much!

Sara

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jewelisfabulous

Our tile guy used a stain-resistant commercial grade grout by Tek in our shower. It doesn't need sealing because it isn't porous enough (like regular grout) to be susceptible to stains. It costs a little more than regular grout but well worth the additional cost in our opinion.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 6:10PM
jerzeegirl

I would not do white. It sounds like you are having hard water issues that are discoloring the tiles. Short of getting a water softener, you might want to consider doing something different from before. If it only happened once, I'd say it's a fluke, but since it has happened twice, I would try a different route if I were you.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 6:40PM
lisadlu

I would do a white tile on the floor but not with white grout. I went with a silver grout on my shower floor last year. It is holding up pretty well but looking back I wish I had gone with a slightly darker color.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 11:54PM
jerzeegirl

I just wanted to add that if the grout does get dirty you can refresh it with Aquamix Grout Colorant. They sell it in every grout color imaginable. I did it on my kitchen floor and it is a miracle how nice the grout looks now.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 10:23AM
palimpsest

I wouldn't do white grout on a shower or bathroom floor. White tile would be fine.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 11:04AM
StoneTech

"Fusion Pro" from HD. Antimicrobial, never needs sealing and stains don't set.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 2:16PM
lam702

I regret using white grout in my bathroom. Its a pain to keep sparkling white. In fact, I am trying to convince my husband to dig the white grout out and replace with gray.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 6:32PM
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b

If you have hard water, you can't fight it. NO color of grout is immune, and neither is the tile. I use a pumice stone on mine, and a lot of elbow grease.

We did get a whole house water softener, and it's better, but not perfect.

You can bleach white, but you can't bleach hard water damage.

Bookmark   August 18, 2014 at 6:36PM
littlebug5

I am in the process of having a new tile floor in my bathroom now - I bought brown grout. I said something to my installer about it and he said to never, never, NEVER get white grout. I agree. Once burned, twice shy.

Bookmark   August 28, 2014 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
Which latricrete products for full shower build?
I'm a bit confused about all the various Latricrete...
cataan
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™