How to make grout disappear w/multi-colored tile?

fatladyAugust 20, 2007

We have a mulit-colored mosiac pennies (in green) tile that we surrounded around our bathroom window. The rest of the tile is a vanilla/cream color-- so the tiler used a bone color grout on all of the tile (including the green mosiac).

I really don't like how the bone colored grout changed the look of the green mosiac (it looks likes green bubbles rather than the pretty mosiac).

Can I change the color of the grout now that it is set?

What color should I change it too in order to make the grout color disapper?--I looked through the threads and saw that Bill V recommended matching the grout color to the tile color, but how do you match when the tile varies from dark green to a light yellow-green?

We are going to repeat the pattern on the floor- so I am wondering what to do to make the grout color disappear in this varied colored tile (and hopefully match or look good with the tile around the window).

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

Aquamix sells a grout colorant that is quite effective.

You've discovered that a light colored grout causes the tile to pop. If you can;t get an exact color match to hide the grout, then sometimes a neutral color...along the lines of the natural gray or pewter in the chart below...works well.

Mongo

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 3:53PM
bill_vincent

I looked through the threads and saw that Bill V recommended matching the grout color to the tile color, but how do you match when the tile varies from dark green to a light yellow-green?

Vary the grout color!! Use one color for the accent tile, and another color for the field tile.

Bookmark   August 20, 2007 at 10:44PM
fatlady

Thanks! I will run the idea of the aqua-mix by my tiler. If I use the pewter color, for example, for both the already grouted (in bone-color that I want to change)and the newly grouted, will the grout colors match?

Bill--I think you misunderstood my problem. Yes, the field and the accent tiles are two different colors, and I am now thinking I will use two different grout colors. But my problem is that the accent tile itself is comprised of about 5 different shades of green. So, I was wondering if it is better to go with the darker shade of green or the lighter shade of green for the accent grout color?

Based on the color chart mongoct sent, I think I will try the pewter or natural gray. Is it reasonable to ask the tiler to do a sample on some spare meshed tile pieces?

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 21, 2007 at 12:22AM
More Discussions
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
Date on thinset
Someone mentioned they would help homeowners decode...
mmaggied
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
Need advice on best mirror/sconce option in small master bath
My husband and I are FINALLY renovating our master...
cbusgirl41
Sponsored Products
Porcelain Floor & Wall Tile: Merola Tile Finish Jimki Cendre 12-1/4 in. x
$5.44 | Home Depot
Vintage House Venetian Tiles Pleated Curtain Panel Pair - VETH1P-LIN
$59.99 | Hayneedle
Tremiti Mosaic Patio Bistro Set - 28-1304
$529.00 | Hayneedle
Porcelain Floor & Wall Tile: MONO SERRA Flooring Castelli Noce 12 in. x 12 in.
$1.48 | Home Depot
Home Dynamix 8562C Sumatra Area Rug - Dark Brown - 8562C-514-SUMATRA 2
$164.99 | Hayneedle
Prague 48" Outdoor Console Table - Black, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™