Now Where Do I Wash the Dog?

djdoggoneAugust 21, 2012

We are in our late 60's and re-doing the only bath in our tiny cottage. The bath is 7.5 x 10. We are thinking of pulling out the tub to put in a shower (with seat) because we are both shower people, but we're wondering how we will wash the dog (German Shepherd). Hubby thinks shower with personal shower head will be big enough. Anyone have a clue? I had been planning 36 x 36; I think the biggest shower we could squeeze in would be 36 x 42. Does anyone have a sense of this. This is a low budget film. Thanks, Deb

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
allison0704

We have an Onzen tub (deep soaking, square) in the MB, so DH showers with the dog when the dog needs a bath.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 1:21PM
live_wire_oak

36x36 or 36x42 isn't big enough for including a seat, but if you can annex a closet or other space enough to add in at least an 18"x 36" bench, that's perfect for washing the dog if you add in a hand shower with either a long line, or just separate location above the bench. Just add in a tether line, like at the groomer's where you can have him hop on the bench, secure the tether, and then lather up. Having him be high enough where you don't have to bend so much is the best way to wash a large dog whether you are young or old. (It's also pretty key to aging in place in your home.) I'd suggest an aftermarket mesh drain shield be installed for those times, because German Shepherd hair is pretty coarse and sheddy.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 2:35PM
djdoggone

allison, how big is the shower?

live wire oak, we've annexed all available space -- think cabinets built into interior walls, etc. We're talking 845 s.f. for 2+ dog. I can vacuum the entire house from one plug (normal cord) :-)

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 3:05PM
kirkhall

a 7.5 x 10 foot bath should be able to hold a full sized shower with bench (ie, 36 x 60 minimum).
Post your plan and we can help.
And, yes, with the larger shower, you can shower with the dog and a hand-wand to wash him.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 4:12PM
dekeoboe

Do you only have one tub in the house? Some on here have said that code in some places requires at least one tub in a house. You might want to check your local code before proceeding too much further.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 4:32PM
bill_vincent

Install a hand held shower spray. For washing the dog, you're better off with it, anyway, even with the tub, Trust me-- I know!

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 5:30PM
allison0704

Cute, Bill.

Our shower is about 4x4 feet.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 7:30PM
dianne47

We have a 70-pound goldendoodle who loves his showers. Currently we have one bathroom with a 42 x 48 shower. I get in the shower with the dog after rolling up my pants legs, and use the handheld shower. Works very well and dog really likes the warm water.

We're adding on to our house and will add 2 more bathrooms, but the best thing will be the outdoor shower with hot and cold water. Then we'll wash the dog outside. I'm looking for a shower fixture for that shower, with a handheld.

I suggest you use a freestanding teak shower bench, rather than building one in. Or install one on the wall that folds. A built-in non-folding bench will take up too much space for your dimensions.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 7:54PM
allison0704

Sorry, forgot to say all our showers have freestanding teak stools - purchased at Smith & Hawkin before they closed.

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 9:29PM
djdoggone

Thanks, everyone, for the great feed-back. We are checking into the possible code issue, dekeoboe. Thanks for the heads up.

Because the bathroom used to be much bigger, it houses a large built-in vanity which makes positioning utilities less than efficient. That's why the small shower. I'll see if I can figure out graphics to post a layout for more help.

Bill, I love your picture. Well, your dog's picture. I was raised by a rough collie and have always loved them. And I have clipped many of your posts to get pointers for when we try our hand at tiling the bathroom -- porcelain ceramic tile, right? (Wood floor now; what a disaster!) In fact, I was going to ask you if you recommend one of those kits for building the shower: Schluter or Kerdi?

We have been struggling to figure out if a free-standing stool is best or built in. Sounds like several of you are recommending stools.

I love THS. We are in our 60's with a limited budget, getting our tiny cottage as low maintenance as possible as the arthritis advances and the hairline recedes. You people have been invaluable. Thanks, all. Deb

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 9:39AM
pricklypearcactus

So glad someone brought up this topic! I used to bathe my German Shepherd (over 100lb right now) in my main bathroom in an old harvest gold cast iron tub. When I remodeled the bathroom a few years ago, I switched to a deep soaker acrylic tub. I'm afraid to try to put my dog in the tub because I worry her nails will scratch/gouge the acrylic. I also am concerned about the depth of the tub as she is getting old and has problems with her hips. She recently developed a skin condition that requires bathes 1-3x per week, which so far has been possible outside with the warm weather, but I don't know what I'll be doing when it gets too cold to bathe her outside.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:16AM
djdoggone

pricklypearcactus: We are installing a hot & cold sill faucet outside for bathing in the warmer New England weather (Moen has one) but need the inside backup for colder weather. I hadn't thought of the problem with the shower pan because our tub is an old cast iron. Glad you mentioned it. It will change the design. And, unfortunately, our GSD has also developed a skin problem requiring frequent bathing.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:43AM
djdoggone

pricklypearcactus: We are installing a hot & cold sill faucet outside for bathing in the warmer New England weather (Moen has one) but need the inside backup for colder weather. I hadn't thought of the problem with the shower pan because our tub is an old cast iron. Glad you mentioned it. It will change the design. And, unfortunately, our GSD has also developed a skin problem requiring frequent bathing.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
Master Bathroom with Laundry
Where would you start with planning the perfect master...
queenofmycastle0221
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™