Course of Construction loan ?'s

melaskaJune 2, 2012

Hi everyone...we are finally getting ready to start our build. The foundation was up last Fall & insulation & Bituthane was delivered today.

It's been a real eye opener during my course-of-construction insurance research. Since we aren't going through a bank it's much harder to find what we want.

It's boiled down to two options at this point:

Option A. With State Farm, full coverage, materials during transport, storage on property, and an earthquake rider. Caveat: Only insure for a year...iffy for renewal...they don't like long & drawn-out builds.

Option B. Zurich. No insurance during transport or storing on property & no insurance riders. We live in an earthquake zone so that feature is very desirable. (Old Valdez was destroyed in the '64 earthquake). BUT, they will renew if not completed within a year. We do have a locked 40-ft connex that we can store materials in. We live on the property so someone will be here 24/7 most of the time.

We're not sure if we'll be able to completely finish within a year. I'd hate to have that hanging over my head. But, I'd also hate to have a 9.2 magnum earthquake hanging, too!

Is it possible to insure with both companies? I couldn't find anything on the net.

Thanks for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
melaska

Oops...wrong word in title...sorry. Don't know how to make it a permanent change.

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 8:51PM
kirkhall

Generally, I'd not want to insure with both...it complicates any claims--they will fight over who will be paying.

Can you start with one, aim to complete within one year, but if you don't make it, at least have a livable area in one year, so that you can just get house insurance and complete it as an extension of your home insurance? Is that an option?

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 9:32PM
melaska

I asked the agent at State Farm & she said we have to completely finished in order to transfer to a regular policy.

We'd like to at least get it to the point of just having interior things left to do before the snow hits. We'll contract certain inside elements. I'll be ready for the Old Folk's Home by the time I move in! :)

Bookmark   June 2, 2012 at 9:53PM
More Discussions
Ventless fireplace
I know there is a fireplace section on the forum, but...
okla1706
Custom floorplan looking for some feedback/suggestions...
Basement: I've been leaning toward making the theater...
goeersn99
Would you give this to the architect - take 2?
I posted a floor plan last week to get input before...
boonieshome
Builders Risk and Premise Liability Insurance..
Just wanted to reach out to others building their homes...
Jason143NBPD
How to cut back on cost
We have 6 kids, 4 still at home. We want a large house...
mommabearof5
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™