Header/Bulkhead on 4 by 4 Shower? Type of Shower Door?

sailormassAugust 6, 2012

Hi, folks--I'm having a 4 by 4 shower installed--the cement board is up, the plumbing is in and the tile is being installed as we speak.

I've attached a pic of the shower as it looks now

The shower had a rainshower head and there is a light in the ceiling. The ceiling will be tiled. I plan to install a high-quality glass door.

Two questions:

--The installer and my carpenter are willing to install a header/bulkhead if I want one at very little cost. For this size and style of shower, would you recommend that?

--In the past (but this was with a six-foot-long shower with a header), I've had a Century glass sliding door that I've loved--great quality, gorgeous door. Should I go with a slider here or with a panel and swinging door?

Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ShellKing

How high is your ceiling? What do you mean when you say bulkhead? I thought that meant lowering the ceiling. Maybe you mean a wall up there?

I would do a panel and a door. If you want the door to open in & out then having it be shorter than the rain head would work best (so it clears it when opened inward). A short wall up top might make that easier.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 1:49PM
sailormass

Hi, ShellKing--The ceiling is eight feet. I actually mean a little wall, for lack of a better term, at the top of the shower opening--probably only six inches or so--kind of a threshold but on top, if that makes any sense.

Thanks!

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 1:52PM
treasuretheday

We'd call what you are describing a soffit and we put one that is about 5 1/2" in our shower because that gave us a logical place to end the ceiling tile and also a place to anchor the glass panel on our pony wall. Ultimately, we decided on a full height door which I love (once we found a shorter rainhead, that is!)

This may help you visualize what I'm talking about...

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 2:03PM
treasuretheday

I forgot to mention that I love the tile work in your shower! I hope you'll post more pictures of your room as it comes together.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 2:05PM
sailormass

Thanks for your help and for the compliment! The tile is a ceramic faux travertine, 3 by 6 made by Cenit. I got the pattern idea from a display at the tile place where I shop. Never would have thought it would work if I hadn't seen it myself.

I've put up another pic--the wall color is BM Pearl Harbor--I might repaint it in BM's Guesthouse.

Your shower is also gorgeous!

I don't think I'll have a door that goes up to the ceiling. Looks great in your bathroom, but mine is a bit smaller and a full-length door might mean there's a little too much steam in my shower.

In this case, would you still recommend a soffit? Thanks!

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 2:10PM
sailormass

Sorry, here's the pic

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 2:11PM
kmcg

I think it would add a nice finishing touch, especially if you have crown molding like treasuretheday. However, be careful not to make the bulkhead/wall too tall (i.e. don't come down too low). I saw a bunch of experts posting about how this would create a place for the rising moisture to get trapped, making it much harder to ventilate.

Bookmark   August 7, 2012 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
Microsilk vs. Air Tub (Jason) OR Bain Ultra
Apologies for the additional thread. I realize there...
divotdiva
Opinions on Water Creation Vanities??
I am strongly considering the Water Creation 72"...
likewhatyoudo
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Sponsored Products
Gulf Coast Shower Curtain
$79.99 | Dot & Bo
Flair Pressure Balance Tub and Shower Set With Lever Handle
Signature Hardware
Lightolier 4" Low Voltage Shower Recessed Light Trim
Lamps Plus
Quincy Super Shaggy Red Hot Washable Bath Runner
Overstock.com
Ramon Soler by Nameeks US-1128C Shower Hose - RAMON SOLER US-1128C
$34.00 | Hayneedle