Kohler Expanse v any Cast Iron--louder?

kirkhallAugust 14, 2012

Hi all,

I am researching for a tub for my daughters' bathroom. It will be a hall bathroom and the toilet/tub room is separated from the sinks...so looks don't count as much as something where you SEE the tub (as a focal point). What does matter is the utility of the tub for bathing AND showering as my girls are almost past age of baths.

I read a review somewhere of a cast iron tub that said that the shower was nice and quiet as the water fell on the cast iron. Now, that isn't something I'd thought about before, but makes perfect sense. We have cast iron now (and it will be going)...so I have not a lot of perspective on how acrylic "sounds"--only how loud it seems in hotel rooms.

So, for those with the Expanse, specifically, do you feel like it is a noisy shower (when the shower water is running)? This tub will be on a wall with the master bedroom.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
writersblock

It doesn't matter what model acrylic tub--install it in a mud bed and it will be quieter than it is without one.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 1:17PM
kirkhall

Who usually does that? The plumber when they do the rough-in? Or, the contractor/tile person?

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 2:46PM
cat_mom

We chose cast iron tubs for our two main bathrooms, and a cast iron shower receptor (pan) for the guest bathroom. We did so for a few reasons; heat retention and solidity/sturdiness were the main ones.

Our plumber used copper pipes for the water lines, but PVC drain pipes I believe. Those are definitely noisier (had we realized he was planning on using them, probably would have inquired about other options). Only noisy when draining (not horribly so). We shower in the tubs daily, and don't find them to be noisy for showering at all.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 3:04PM
dedtired

I have a Kohler Expanse, which I love. I replaced a cast iron tub. Yes, the sound is different, but that's all -- different. Not louder or more bothersome, just different. The Expanse is all one piece as opposed to many tubs that have a removable apron. This makes it more solid and therefore not so noisy. I love that tub for showering because it gives you the same space as a shower stall. However, the sides are higher for stepping over, but I got used to that quickly.

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Final Decisions - Lighting and Countertop - "Spa-Like" or "Dreary"?
We have been in the middle of a very long & drawn-out...
AHMIowa_NJ
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
My afterthought bathroom REVEAL
I was doing a major remodel on a guest bathroom and...
shappy22
Sponsored Products
KOHLER Shower Bases Ballast 60 in. x 32 in. Single Threshold Shower Base in
Home Depot
Tuesday Wall Clock by David Scherer
$186.95 | Bellacor
Central Oriental Royal Emperor Area Rug - Ivory Ivory White - 4611.14.14
$157.00 | Hayneedle
Central Oriental Radiance Amelia Area Rug - Wheat/Gold - 2038WG13
$120.99 | Hayneedle
Sterling Finesse 5405-59-G69 59.625W x 58.3125H in. Lake Mist Glass Bath Door -
$675.99 | Hayneedle