What does surface type mean on tile ? i.e. 0.60, .73, vitreous

angela12345August 23, 2012

I am looking at tile on Lowes.com. I am wondering, what does surface type mean on the tile they have available ?

If you go to Lowes.com, search for "tile" in upper right search box, then click Floor Tile on left, in the column on the left under the prices is Surface Type

0.6 (4)

0.71 (1)

0.73 (33)

Semi-Vitreous (1)

Smooth (751)

Textured (168)

My aunt is considering a wet room. She will be tiling the entire floor of the bath and the walls (do you tile ceiling?). What are recommendations for floor tile so it is not too slippery ? When I choose "textured" as surface type, some of the tiles it returns says Smooth in the description. For example, http://www.lowes.com/pd_188333-50101-L30193_4294856525__?productId=1159219

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dekeoboe

It means their website is a mess. If you look at the specifications of the tiles listed under 0.6, 0.71 and 0.73 the "answers" don't match up with the "category". For example "Actual Width" and they list "Not Rated". It's not you, it is the website.

If you want tile that is not slippery, then you need to pay attention to the Coefficient of Friction, both dry and wet.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
Another shower size questions
I am converting an alcove tub (60x30) to a shower....
cataan
Anyone have Swanstone shower base?
I was able to dig up the technical/testing specs for...
cataan
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Help locating a Powder Bath sink, please!
We are in the final days of a year long remodel only...
soonermagicmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™