Ideas for focal point outside formal dining room window?

bmh4796June 30, 2013

Our formal dining room faces the side of our neighbors house which is 10 feet away. The architect drew in a little brick courtyard with a wall fountain in it. I fell in love with this idea. The builder said that it would cost about 5-6000 to do this. I told him the fountains are always half off at my favorite nursery, so I could get one for 400. He laughed at me and and said its the wall that will cost!

So, do you have any ideas on how to incorporate a little fountain for less than 6000? You can see how the architect planned it. My only idea is to have a wall shorter than 6 feet?? But that probably won't help much

Also, lots of things have changed on the plans since this pic was taken, so try to focus on only the fountain ;)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bmh4796

i was thinking of something like this

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:28PM
bmh4796

or this is probably better since it's wider

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:34PM
lavender_lass

Can you use arborvitae to frame in the courtyard? Maybe just have a wall for the fountain?

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:53PM
bmh4796

i suppose i could. i'll have to see if that will be ok

This post was edited by bmh4796 on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 20:00

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 7:57PM
allison0704

Is the brick/wall and fountain something you could add after you move in so that you're not paying the contractor fee? Could save a bit.

Or do the fountain wall but not the other walls and gate. Could always add later on if you decide they are needed.

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 8:33PM
bmh4796

that's a good point about the contractor fee. it's definitely something we can do later.

i thought about just putting one wall to put the fountain on, but would that look weird from the street? you'd see the side of the wall and fountain

Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 8:41PM
Annie Deighnaugh

I prefer the idea of a free-standing fountain surrounded by greenery vs. a wall.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 8:42AM
allison0704

Here's a picture I found last night... not a favorite design, but an example. You'd still need a planting (or large potted plants) at either end to soften the wall, imo.

A wall will give more privacy (and provide it quicker) than only shrubs.

My aunt had a small courtyard, with small pond/fountain, off the breakfast room. It was a lovely little secluded spot and always seemed magical to me (as a kid).

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 3:35PM
lazy_gardens

Use a trellis with vines to back up a free-standing fountain, like the wider of the two you showed. Add a casual brick patio, some pots of flowers and you are there for Make sure you have electrical and plumbing close enough to run the pump and the auto-fill on the fountain.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 4:19PM
done_again

Are you putting in a door from the dining room to the courtyard? If not, would you ever use it? I think a courtyard with a fountain would be neat...and hopefully magical.

Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Dark hardwood vs lighter hardwood floors
I'm trying to decide which type of floors we should...
houserookie
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
Plantation vs faux wood blinds
We have decided to do plantation shutters in the front...
aimless07
help me choose our floors
We have 2 options for our floors - white oak (longer...
3ilovepie
Are these doors acceptable to you?
These are walnut interior doors. I understand that...
pumpkinhouse
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™