How would you make a wreath?

nhardyDecember 21, 2010

I have a magnolia grandiflora tree. Mr. squirrel has been pruning the tips of the branches again. I thought I might make a wreath with all of the cuttings. Should I hot glue them to a form or wire them to a wire form?? I see no need to get anything with water like floral foam.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nonacook

Hot glue would work well for a wreath this time of year, or if you have a stryofoam form, or straw form, the U shaped floral pins would hold the leaves. We (garden club)used the pins for magnolia leaves. We left some wreaths green and painted some with metallic paint.

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 2:47PM
lovesummer1

No advice on making a wreath, but as New Englander I want to tell you how envious I am of you folks in southern climes who can grow these trees! I planted a supposedly cold-hardy one a year ago but it continues to look like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree, and I'm not optimistic it will ever thrive. I absolutely adore magnolia roping and wreaths at the holiday. We visited a friend in Richmond, a master gardener, who turns up her nose at these trees because they're messy and drop things all year long, but I suspect if I lived there I'd probably put up with the annoyance just to have the glory of these trees!

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 2:54PM
nhardy

I'm in St. Louis zone 5b and the tree thrives next to the house! They are messy trees but well loved for the shade and beautiful flowers. Our tree is almost 50 years old and twice the height of the house. No topping it now. I'll leave the trimming to the squirrels.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 7:44PM
Carol_from_ny

I've got a northern variety of magnolia. It took it almost 7 years before it took off and started flowering. For a good number of years it was a sad looking thing. In the past year or two it's exploded into a lovely fragrant tree BUT I still don't have the leaves like on the southern variety.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 8:16PM
antiquesilver

I'm in downtown Richmond on a small city lot & I planted a magnolia specifically for cutting (& to hide the neighbor's house). It doesn't get enough sun for many blooms, if any, but there's nothing comparable to the foliage.

Bookmark   December 22, 2010 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Christmas, 2014
Our kitchen
swest2_gw
Valentine Decor
It was a little crazy decorating this year for Valentine's...
phonegirl
Trying something, you can help.
Any of you who see my pins on Pinterest know that I...
luvstocraft
Judith (Sweet Designs blog)
Hi everyone. I have checked her blog numerous times...
marylmi
Winter decor gone, here's Valentines
Just changed out the items on my kitchen table. I really...
luvstocraft
Sponsored Products
Howard Elliott Altria 18 x 56 Red Wall Mirror
$249.90 | LuxeDecor
28 in. Autumn Pumpkin Wreath - 4907
$91.99 | Hayneedle
Homelegance Orleans 5 Piece Poster Bedroom Set in Rich Cherry
Beyond Stores
Estate Pre-Lit Christmas Wreath - 30" dia. Christmas Decor
$149.00 | FRONTGATE
Winter garden wreath table runner (mocha)
Origin Crafts
Hydrangea Flower Wreath
$39.99 | zulily
Pumpkin and Berry 24-inch Wreath
Overstock.com
Set of Three Jeweled Leaf Garlands
Grandin Road
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™