Firefox 'Manage Search Engines' query

albert_135March 18, 2012

On the right of my Navigation Toolbar (Firefox 11.0 now but it was also there with 10.0.2) there is place to enter a search term and a drop down menu to select Wikipedia or Google or anyone of several others.

This is very convenient as one can drag and drop a term into this place and a search proceeds immediately.

It is inconvenient because the results of the search opens over the place where I am currently working and 'back' is required to return to the screen I am using. I've failed to find any 'help' on this feature.

Is there some place to force these searches to open in an new window or a new tab?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

Albert if you have Windows 7 (perhaps it works with XP too?) you can highlight the words and by right clicking it the pop up menu offers the option to search in Google and if clicked. It does so in a new tab. Does for me at least, using Firefox.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 3:55PM
albert_135

When I hi-lite and right click as owbist suggests I only get options for Wikipedia and Answers.com. These do open in a new tab as is ideal.

The 'manage search engines' field in my navigate toolbar has options for Google, Bing, Yahoo, Amazon, Ebay, Wikipedia and others.

Is there some way to add more options the the hi-light and click right feature? Or, is there some way to get the 'manage search engines' to open in a new tab?

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 10:44AM
albert_135

I found a place in Mozillazine that said alt-enter would open it in a new tab but that don't work for me. I found where someone else said middle-click would open in a new tab but that don't work for me.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 5:33PM
bob414

Doesn't help you, but alt-enter works for me.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 6:37PM
mikie_gw

I just experimented the windows standard way ...with firefox 11.02 or whatever is todays version of the Standard Channel version.

Copy & Paste some page words into the search box, hold down the CTRL key while clicking the search magnifier icon ... opens the search words in a new tab.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 9:34PM
mikie_gw

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 9:48PM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

Sorry, I also can't help you Albert_135 but thanks for asking the question and a big thank you for your response Owbist. Once again I've learned something new from the forum

My Win XP with FF 11.0 responds just as Owbist's Win 7 does: highlight the word, right click, click on option to search in Google and a new tab opens.

Computer Help is my first go-to site of each day. No wonder. Thanks to all.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 2:56PM
albert_135

Both my FF 11.x and FF 8.x behave as mikie describes above at 21:34 hrs yesterday.

When I hi-lite and right click as owbist describes I only get Wikipedia (And Answers.com which I downloaded to the one machine.) and not Google.

So, somewhere out there is a way to add Google to the right click option and to turn on the alt-enter option for the search bar.

Someone, somewhere else said that I need to double click something in about:config. I haven't gone there yet as I am waiting for my IT person, aka spouse, to take an interest in my petty problem.

Bookmark   March 20, 2012 at 4:04PM
mikie_gw

When I hi-lite and right click as owbist describes I only get Wikipedia (And Answers.com which I downloaded to the one machine.) and not Google.

The top search input box if set to wikipedia search, will dictate the hightlighted word default search is also wikipedia.

So if you want to use Google search on rightclicked words, set that search box to google.

Sounds like its presently set to wikipedia as default search.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 1:52AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

those of you with firefox that opens the option to search in google and other search options you may have that due to an add on I know I do. I have used the add on for that for years. IT is called term blaster.
termBlaster 2.0.5

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 2:05PM
albert_135

termBlaster 2.0.5 says ''Not available for Firefox 11.0"

Pico-rant: this is one of my quarrels with frequent new versions of Firefox, new versions do not support add-ons, sometimes.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
I-Pad WiFi question
Wife has 13 month old I-Pad mini. I also have the other...
chas045
Is this screen for real or is it a virus
On multiple sites I am getting a message at the top...
paulsmth2
Firefox too much security? frequent blocking
I continue to have problems with Firefox blocking and...
jerry_nj
switching mouse button
I'm using the mouse with my left hand and can't get...
Snomam
'Unnetworking' a computer
Trying to help a friend with his Vista computer. Something...
jane__ny
Sponsored Products
Cornerstone Lighting Brighton Oil Rubbed Bronze Nine-Light 25'' Wide Chandelier
$438.00 | LuxeDecor
Aris Mini Pendant by Feiss
$220.00 | Lumens
Tolomeo With Shade Floor Lamp by Artemide
$810.00 | Lumens
Aston Shower Enclosures Avalux 48 in. x 36 in. x 72 in. Frameless Shower
Home Depot
Zuo Modern Engineer High Back Office Chair in White
Beyond Stores