Newbie looking for Vanity Top Ideas

briannejAugust 27, 2010

Hello, I have enjoyed reading this forum for so long and I am new to posting...I finally have a project of my own :). I had the dream of using some beautiful Carrera Marble as a vanity top but am limited on budget. I had the local cultured marble top manufacturer make me a small sample of a swirl design called Country Grey on White and make a matte finish on it. Wondering if this would do the trick with white undermount bowls? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drjoann

Just out of curiosity, how much will the cultured marble cost? We're getting Alabama White marble for ~$44/sf installed (Upstate SC). It is an extra charge to have it honed. It's a pretty white marble that may suit you just as well as Carrera.

HTH - Jo Ann

Alabama White Slab

Bookmark   August 27, 2010 at 6:00PM
pricklypearcactus

That's really beautiful, drjoann!

briannej, have you priced marble at multiple locations? For a vanity top, you may be able to due with remnants from someone's kitchen job. Also, I know a few places (like Home Depot) carry pre-made marble tops that might be reasonably affordable (I haven't priced them). Otherwise, some of the solid surface makers and quartz makers (Corian, Ceasarstone, etc) make some marble-look materials. However, I simply don't think you can quite match the beauty of real stone with man-made materials. Also, you could consider doing a top with marble tile. I've seen pictures of marble tile countertops that were absolutely stunning.

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 10:46AM
johnfrwhipple

Even more ideas here on Maggie's thread - http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bath/msg080124365068.html?19

Here is a link that might be useful: Maggie's thread on Counters

Bookmark   August 29, 2010 at 11:59AM
briannej

Yes, I checked into remnants with no luck...it is a 73" top, so I guess that probably limits the remnants a little. That too, we keep calling and checking on, but finally made the decision to try to stick to the cheapest thing and get what we really want at a later date...which would include a real marble top with undermount bowls and tile up the wall behind the mirrors in lieu of a backsplash. We are building a new home so unfortunately some things just have to end at the end of the budget and we can only dream of doing them later :). The cultured marble comes out to $40/sf but that includes the sinks so really without (2) sinks at probably $60/each it comes out to be about $34 each and there still, without a charge for a sink cut out which is pretty standard...
The whole cultured marble top is around $450 so it is really affordable. I am just debating if I should play it safe and go with a plain white for a simple sharp contrast to the espresso vanity or if I should try playing with the matte finish on the grey swirl to add some pattern. I love the look of the real marble and yet don't want to take the look of the whole bath down with the top. I would still be doing a solid white bowl (2 tone molded cultured marble top) for that price, so it might look a little richer having the bowl be solid and just the top part with the pattern. Do you think I should try it or play it safe? I will take a pic of the sample tonight and try to post to see if you have any input for me. Thanks so much!

Bookmark   August 31, 2010 at 12:08PM
sc_kathyc

drjoann, do you mind sharing the name of your granite suppier? I am in the upstate also and I have just picked out a granite for my master bath, but I am not sure that it is what I really want.

I would so love to have the marble, but I am a careless person and am concerned that I will ruin it with makeup and stuff.

Did you obtain a sample of your marble and do you know if it stains easily?

Thks,

Kathy

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 12:46PM
drjoann

That is from Slabco in Travelers Rest. My fabricator is Star Granite whose main office is in Elberton, GA. I will be using the AL White for my kitchen baking center and the vanity top in the guest bedroom en suite. I do have a sample of my slab, but I haven't dinked with it because I'm not worried about stains (seal well & if something gets through use a poltice) and I very much want it to etch so it has a patina. Now, that I have paint colors chosen, I guess I should put it through the ringer with staining agents. Good idea.

For the master bath, we're going bold and have a beautiful slab of Rainforest Green marble. There is so much pattern, that it will hide a multitude of sins.

HTH - Jo Ann

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
? Factory sealed carrera tile- anyone??
I went to the tile store today and was planning on...
amspinn
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
numbersjunkie
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Bath fan dilemma
Looking for other options for bath fan/heater/light/nightlight....
gramarows
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™