Tiling Bathroom Walls - 4 Feet or Higher??

RareindigoAugust 2, 2012

We're putting new tile in our tub/shower area up to the ceiling. Would like to extend the tile around the balance of the bathroom but not to the ceiling. It's a tiny bathroom - 5' x 7'. What's an average/normal height to tile? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

I am going to be tiling a wainscot. I will be using the height that works for me in relation to my other elements. My vanity will be a 36" counter height with 10" stone backsplash all placed in front of the wainscoting. I adjusted the height of my wainscot to accommodate my design plans. Mine will be at 50". I've seen shorter and taller. I don't think there is a set height. My ceiling is only 7' high. Here is an image that gives proportions. My room is 9.5' long, and includes the depth of the built-in floor to ceiling cupboard on the right. As I said the ceiling is 7' high. The floor is just there to help me visualize pattern and color. As you can see the mirror that I am considering barely fits above the wainscot and the ceiling :/ The square on the left is a cut section of my 60"x32"x14" high tub.

Having everything all drawn up to scale is wonderful to plan properly & to avoid surprises.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 11:03AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I would not go to exactly 4' in an 8' ceiling-height bathroom, because that divides the wall exactly in half. Visually, it is better to be short of exactly half or taller, so 36" 42" 54" would all be reasonable heights.

Bookmark   August 2, 2012 at 2:55PM
More Discussions
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Cast Iron, Soaking, Free Standing Tub?
That is what I think I want, but I'm not finding very...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
What is really new in bathroom renovating?
Although I'm more a retro/classic kind of person, I'm...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™