ISO creative solution to bumping mirrors

coolbeanswAugust 28, 2012

In our hall bath reno, we replaced a crappy old medicine cabinet with a handsome Kohler unit that has a beveled mirror door. It had to go exactly where the previous one was, on the right wall perpendicular to the vanity mirror, so it opens toward the vanity mirror. Problem is that the med cab door opens more than 90 degrees and bangs into the vanity mirror. Contractor says hinges can't be modified to "stop" at 90 degrees. (True?) He recommends putting a clear plastic bumper on the top corner of the med cab mirror to cushion the inevitable collision. Will resort to this if necessary, but would prefer a better or more decorative solution. Any ideas? TIA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tracie.erin

Can you somehow attach a short piece of chain to the interior of the medicine cabinet (inside frame and back of mirror) so the chain stops the med cab from opening too far?

I'm thinking you would need to use shortened bolts or something else with a wide head.. those would go thru the chain and then get superglued to the cabinet on each side

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 2:16PM
coolbeansw

Interesting idea, tracie.erin!

Bookmark   August 28, 2012 at 8:40PM
ShellKing

I have the same medicine cabinet. It opens past 90 degrees. But then we put a wood frame around it on the wall. Now the wood frame keeps it from opening all the way. It wasn't the goal to have the corner of the mirror hit the frame -- but it maybe a solution for you?

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 12:48PM
coolbeansw

Yes, indeed, ShellKing, your idea may provide the path to a solution. I hadn't considered that something adjacent to the outside door hinges, like a frame, would stop it. The med cab is so close to the wall corner that I could probably devise a bumper there that would be fairly invisible and would stop the door. Much better than affixing a bumper to the mirror itself. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 6:34PM
More Discussions
Tile sizes and colors...help!
My husband and I are about to tear our hair out. We've...
alidanae
WWYD - Mosaic tile accents?
Starting to try to figure out some of the decor details...
numbersjunkie
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Ledges, niches and shelves
In our first remodel, we did niches (don't like them),...
sjhockeyfan325
Bath fan dilemma
Looking for other options for bath fan/heater/light/nightlight....
gramarows
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™