What NOT to clean your stainless steel appliances with...

dbfirewifeJuly 11, 2013

I just had a new Samsung French Door refrigerator delivered..and the last thing the delivery man told me was not to use any cleaner with Ammonia in it, that it would turn the stainless purple....I have never heard this before and thought I would give the heads up here. So don't grab the windex to get a smudge off of your stainless steel appliance. Anyone have any experience with this?...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jellytoast

KitchenAid/Whirlpool recommends a product for their stainless appliances. I used some on my Franke sink and it caused a purple hue around the drain. I immediately washed it out (it did go away) and won't use it again.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 4:02PM
xc60

I just use a microfibre cloth damp with warm water and another dry microfibre cloth after to dry them.

I used all types of stainless steel cleaning product on our last stainless steel appliances and all were horrible, leaving our appliances streaky, greasy and finger print magnets.

With just using water and the microfibre cloths our appliances now are easy to keep looking great even with kids.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 4:52PM
jakvis

I'm not sure about the ammonia but I am sure that you should never use a chlorinated product on Stainless Steel. The chlorine is an oxidizer that will cause the SS to rust.

I've used windex for years to clean my SS appliances but I always condition the SS with mineral oil as soon as I'm finished with the windex.

Most store bought SS cleaners have mineral oil in them to treat the steel and protect it from finger prints.

This post was edited by jakvis on Thu, Jul 11, 13 at 20:00

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 4:56PM
cooksnsews

Another fan here of microfibre dampened with plain old water. It is a fabulous all-surface treatment, Why make housekeeping any more complex than it needs to be?

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 8:30PM
FmrQuahog

it's ok to use pledge

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 8:31PM
jellytoast

I agree with the micro fiber towel and water solution for everyday cleaning. But there are times that I lag on the everyday thing and my sink developes water spots that need a little something extra.

Bookmark   July 11, 2013 at 11:01PM
cat_mom

Rubbing Alcohol--water--essential lavender oil (or other essential oil; adds fragrance, adds to the mixture's anti-bac properties, might also have a positive effect on surface tension of the mixture) in a spray bottle. Spray it on SS appliances (great on granite countertops, too), and wipe dry with a microfiber cloth.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:42AM
cookncarpenter

Mineral oil, cheap and easy

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 11:50PM
TimReeves

Stainless steel is widely used now a days. It is said to be strong but surely not maintenance free. it needs to be kept dry and away from things that can cause it to rust. As the metal becomes old, it loses its original shine and starts looking dull. At such times we tend to use all sorts of methods to make it look new.
At such times we should avoid scrubbing the metal because this might create scratches on it.
Use of acid based cleaners should strictly be avoided. These cleaners may cause harmful reactions and spoil the look and quality of the metal.
Use of organic cleaners could possibly be much safer for cleaning stainless steel appliances.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some organic cleaners

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 7:16AM
xedos

Carbona - usually available at Publix

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 8:34AM
sreedesq

Zep commercial stainless steel polish - Home Depot.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 9:17AM
sjhockeyfan325

Pledge and a microfiber cloth.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:03AM
bmorepanic

Some stainless is covered with a coating to help with fingerprints. If you have such a product, don't do what I do - I have no idea what would happen. In order from most dirty to least.

Barkeepers friend if its really gory and it also seems to help diminish bleach or acid spots. I use only the soft side of a green scrubby sponge.

Simple green and a LOT OF RINSING will shine'r right up - it takes off accumulated grease and oil without scrubbing.

Some very dilute ammonia if covered with grease or oil and I don't want to rinse a lot. Be way careful if it's an appliance - some have labels painted on or powder coated parts. Ammonia can remove either one.

Miracle cloth and water.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 1:22PM
More Discussions
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
Counter depth refrigerators - who actually stocks them?
I need to replace my current counter depth refrigerator,...
yjacket86
Lacanche-beautiful but how functional?
I am very tempted to splurge on a Lacanche for our...
mbwestfall
Unnecessary drama with Miele dishwasher...
The salt/softener tank on my ten-year-old Miele Incognito...
howardgee
Convection Microwave vs Speed Cook Microwave Help
We are remodeling our basement to include a kitchenette...
Teresa Cooper
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™