appropriate gift for son's (serious) girlfriend

jubileejDecember 7, 2006

I want to give a gift to my son's college aged girlfriend that could acknowledge her importance in the family, while not communicating any expectations of their future relationship, either. She knows I don't approve of them sharing the same apt. (separate rooms they say), but I hope she senses that I really like her personally. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minnie_tx

Back in the old days we would give the girl a lovely gold round bracelet. (costume of course) Of course that might mean something today, I've lost touch.

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 5:59PM
tammy_crafter

We have one of these girls that have been around for a LONG time - HSe's here more than my boys are - in the past I have gotten her a basket of smelly stuff from bed-bath & beyond; purse; nice sweater; hat & gloves if you live in the cold like we do; the gold bracelet sounds very nice and a great idea. This girl may be your future daughter-in-law it may be a start of welcoming her into your family.
tammy

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 7:51PM
lynnatl

I have the same situation. I got my son's girlfriend a really adorable pocket book from Bath & Body Works with some smelly stuff in it.

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 9:32PM
azcbreeze

Maybe some candles and a gift certificate, that way she gets something other then a certificate and she can pick out something herself too. Good Luck

Bookmark   December 7, 2006 at 11:28PM
grammyp

How about a nice watch, or locket with their pictures in it.

beverly

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 7:13PM
craftylady-2006

I am going to give my son's 24 year old girlfriend the gift box of perfumes from Victoria's Secret for Christmas. It is an assortment of eight perfumes. I think it is a very feminine gift and one more than likely not to be returned. That and a nice Christmas tree ornament for their tree.

Bookmark   December 8, 2006 at 8:31PM
minnie_tx

I like the idea of the additional tree ornament and one you can carry on each year.

Bookmark   December 9, 2006 at 9:37PM
earthlydelights

i think a nice basket from bath and body works all wrapped up pretty speaks of something - to that i would add a dated ornament. i don't think you can go wrong with this.
i think a gift card is a little impersonal, but that's just me.

maryanne

Bookmark   December 11, 2006 at 1:15AM
mojo1937

If it were me, I'd check with my son. There might be a book that she has been wanting for a long time, or maybe a CD. Did you know that the CD players are low costing?

Go look at all the wonderful electronic gifts the stores have this year. Wonderful things.

How about cell-phone time.

A certificate, plus a pretty Christmas tin filled with fruites, candies, or nuts.

Several quick food eating places have gift cards and food credit cards with a set amount of money.

My husband picked up a (pretty) toaster that cooks eggs-toast-frozen cooked sausage all at the same time. Makes an Egg McMuffin. They are called "Back to Basics" and can be found just about every where this year such as Target, WalMart, etc. Very popular with college kids and are the most sold gifts this year as per a report.

Bookmark   December 14, 2006 at 10:30PM
jubileej

Thanks all! Great ideas!!!

Bookmark   December 22, 2006 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Testing ... a pic & text.
Testing this again ... I posted one pic earlier today...
jeannespines
from Purplemoon
I still haven't gotten Houzz to accept my old name,...
Purplemoon
trial
<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td><a...
nana2010_gw
Mardi Gras Breakfast
Getting ready for tomorrow. For more information and...
oldalgebra
Five Easy Vignette Tips
Link Here is a link that might be useful: Tips
yachter123
Sponsored Products
Magis | Flying Carpet Rug
YLiving.com
Chadwick Oiled Bronze 13-Inch LED One Light Pendant
$258.00 | Bellacor
Magis | Reiet Children's Chair
YLiving.com
FM-1410 8" 17W Ledge LED Flush Mount
LBC Lighting
Havana 6 Light Chandelier by Jonathan Adler Lighting
$693.00 | Lumens
Couristan Recife Checkered Field Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug - Natural/Green - 1005/
$179.00 | Hayneedle
Chadwick Antique Copper 8-Inch Dimming LED One Light Mini Pendant
$270.00 | Bellacor
Landmark Lighting Chadwick 66564-1-LED 1 Light Pendant in Medium Oak & Polished
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™