problem with IMAC attachments

abbey_cnyMarch 27, 2012

I recently got my first mac computer, and am loving it, but I am running into a problem when I try to send an attachment to anyone. They cannot be opened. I have IWORK on the computer, which I thought was supposed to convert the attachments so I could read anything sent from a PC and vice versa. I was originally unable to read any attachment sent from a PC until I added IWORK, and now I can, so I know it is working for stuff I receive, but it doesn't seem to be working the other way. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Abbey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

It would be helpful perhaps if we knew the 3 digit extension on the file name. Or is this for more than one kind of file?

If you were sending a .jpg image there would/should be no problem but if you are sending with a Mac specific extension then PC users would not likely be able to open the attachments.

I am not a Mac user but am trying to assist my sister who has bought an iPad2 having never owned a computer before so the going is tough.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 11:44AM
abbey_cny

Hi owbist, I am sorry but I don't know the extension it was saved under. When I pull it up in my documents it just shows the title of the form, and not the file name. How would I find the file name? That certainly may be the problem if it is automatically saved with an mac specific extension. I will try and figure out what the file extension is but it anyone has any suggestions on how to find it I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:31PM
abbey_cny

I have some further info which I hope will be helpful. I tried saving the document with a ".doc" extension, and I got an error message saying I had to use ".pages" extension. The pages is apparently part of the Iwork program. So is there any way for me to change the extension name to something that is PC friendly that will still allow me to save it in my mac?
Thanks once again.'

Abbey

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 1:37PM
owbist

You might try to save the document as an RTF (rich text format) file. This way any word processing program should be able to open it. Failing that use .txt but that is quite primitive really.

Never really understood why RTF is not used more making cross platform acceptance so much easier. All to do with money no doubt.

Bookmark   March 27, 2012 at 4:04PM
More Discussions
How to uninstall Avast From my laptop
I will be removing Avast from my laptop windows 7 computer...
thirdfrt
XP backup reinstall
Back again, considering doing a XP backup (what's best...
jerry_nj
Firefox too much security? frequent blocking
I continue to have problems with Firefox blocking and...
jerry_nj
Help with color on my images
I take pictures and on my camera they are a good color...
berk
free downloader for youtube videos to use in powerpoint?
I used to be able to download videos for use in my...
jean001a
Sponsored Products
Oil Rubbed Bronze Pedestal Bath Towel Rack
Overstock.com
RGB PixelDMX LED Mini Domes RGB-pixeldmx-minidome-30
EnvironmentalLights.com
"Casilla" Planter
$495.00 | Horchow
Home Decorators Collection Wall Mounted Lighting & Sconces 30 In. Cord Cover
$10.00 | Home Depot
AKTO Filing Tray by Blomus
$73.79 | Lumens