Is my melted microwave repairable?
My new microwave had a habit of inserting extra zeroes in - so when I thought I entered 3 minutes (three + zero+ xero) I'd look and see later after it wouldnt stop cooking that it had converted to 3 HOURS. I was mostly making tea and using the 1 minute button, rarely set the time so never figured out if it was by design or some electronic glitch.
OK, so maybe I'm a stupid consumer - apparently some microwaves dont make you enter the zeros as a time saver.... as if the effort of entering two more zeroes is just too much to bear.
But, OK, it's a timesaver, whatever... what I dont get is why anyone would want their microwave to run for THREE HOURS? Why on earth would it be designed to accomodate that? What am I missing? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Long story short - I thought I was cooking for 3 minutes, got distracted, and later smelled smoke and burning. Ran inside to find the smoldering remains of food and the inside plastic melted on the top. The metal screen is still OK.
Can a microwave door be repaired - is it possible to just peel off the plastic layer and put on a new unmelted layer?