Red clay tile with white glaze--will cuts show red?

needinfo1August 9, 2013

This is about a kitchen backsplash I am planning to do myself, but I am making a cross post here since I hope some tiling experts might be in this forum and not the kitchen forum.

I've got a couple different brands of off-white crackle tiles I am choosing between. The one from Home Depot is the only one that is made on a red clay base; the others all are from white clay. When the HD sample first came I immediately eliminated it because I thought there might be problems with working with a white glaze on red clay. Now I am rethinking.

I really like the color of this tile a lot. And, this would be my cheapest option.

My main concern is with the areas where there will have to be cuts and whether the red of the clay will show up as an ugly red line. I am using subway tiles in a running bond, so there will be many places where I will need to cut my 3" by 6" tiles in half to get the 3" squares needed to start every other row.

Does anyone have any experience with using a red clay tile with a whitish glaze? Thanks much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kirkhall

How will you finish your end runs? If into a tile edge, then you probably won't have the problem. If you are leaving them "out" you'll see the red.

Even with my gray/white base tile, my tile setter took sink porcelain paint (the stuff to fix chips) and painted the ends of exposed tiles. Would that work for you? Maybe try it with your sample and see how noticable that is.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 11:38AM
needinfo1

I plan to buy the bullnose, so that will take care of the end pieces. I am actually more worried about the places where I know I will need to make cuts that will abut the regular edge of a regular tile.

The idea of using sink porcelain stuff to touch up the edges is a good one. I think I will play around and try to practice with this idea.

Thanks so much.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 11:44AM
weedyacres

Yes, the red will show. If the cut edges are all going into inside corners, then you'd be ok because you'd caulk the corner. But if they're on the face, even butting into the bullnose, you'll see red, because the grout dips down a little in the crack (it's not flush with the tile).

I only tiled once with red-based ceramic tile. Never again. I now only buy through-body colored tile.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 3:17PM
needinfo1

weedyacres--

Now you've given me pause to rethink this. What you say is what I was afraid of.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 10:07PM
More Discussions
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
AHMIowa_NJ
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
Kohler Archer Undermount Sink and Vanity Depth
Has anyone used a Kohler Archer undermount sink in...
Jill Wood
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
A McK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™