Cleaning a deep fryer basket

tbonekelJuly 26, 2009

I bought a very dirty Nesco deep fryer at a garage sale. Everything cleaned up very nicely but the fryer basket. I don't think I will be able to find a replacement because I think the model is discontinued. If I new of a good way to clean the basket, I would. Can someone tell me a good way to clean this. It may need some acidic bath of some sort but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

You could try cold oven cleaner on it. I'd saturate it in the stuff in a plastic garbage bag and let it sit for a while.

By the way, you ought to call the manufacturer - even if the model is discontinued they might still have parts or a new model might have a basket that would fit.

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 4:03PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
llaatt22

There are recalls on some of their models. Check Nesco.com

The wire baskets for small appliances are usually tin or chrome plated wire and will start rusting if something like the lye based commercial food service fryer cleaners are used regularly if they are even available to you where you live. The basket set just below simmer in a large pot of water with some Kirkland powered detergent stirred in will eventually clean up with the use of a stiff bristle denture type brush and some small picks or screwdrivers.

Once it is cleaned up the easiest way to keep it staying clean longer is to use peanut oil, which is quite expensive. Can't win!

Bookmark   July 26, 2009 at 8:15PM
More Discussions
Convection Microwave vs Speed Cook Microwave Help
We are remodeling our basement to include a kitchenette...
Teresa Cooper
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
Island hood location/height
I've got a cooktop that's 20" X 37" that...
dickross
36 Inch Wolf Range and Fridge
I'm looking at range's for my wife's soon to be kitchen...
amexblackg5
Miele Oven Temperatures - Please Check Yours
So I'm back. I'm on my second Masterchef oven, after...
baver
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™