I need professional advice, shower door install

bullieloveAugust 9, 2013

Ok so twice now the shower glass door guys have come and tried to install the glass door (bracket side) it is a seamless glass door with a hinge. The 1st time they cracked the bullnose piece of porcelain tile at the point where the screw went into the tile, the shower guy tried to say there must have been an area behind the tile with not enough thinset.

Tile guy said the ceramic tile is low density and the face glazed is fragile and there has to be proper care in installing the bracket, proper drill, proper drill bit, use of a shim etc.

2nd time shower door guy tries to install once tile is fixed and now tells me the shower wall tile is not flush with the bullnose piece therefore the bullnose piece bumps up a little and thus is causing cracking.

I dont know what to believe, i dont know what to do, should i call another glass installer? Another tile person?

The shower company is owned by a friend and gave us a great deal (his cost)

Thanks for any advice.
Cheri

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
geoffrey_b

I think the shower installer should be talking to the tile guy directly.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 9:33AM
millworkman

How about pictures as it is impossible to tell from a description alone.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 9:35AM
bullielove

here is a pic

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 9:43AM
millworkman

How about backing up a few feet and giving us several pictures of the entire shower as well as closeups not quite so close up. Is there a GC involved? Did you hire the glass co and the tile setter independently of each other? Was there any coordination between the trades as to what was going to be installed? Were there architectural drawings that were given to the trades? Did anyone do shop drawings showing the products in relation to each other?

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 11:05AM
mongoct

I presume there is proper purchase for the screw threads behind the tile. A wall stud, for example.

Here's my recommendation since this is a fail times two.

Have them remove the bracket and drill an oversized hole the depth of the tile, the thinset, and if the backer board is frangible or compressible, the depth of the backer board as well. In a typical situation that might be 1/4" + 1/8" + 1/2", or 7/8" depth total.

So drill a hole 3/8" in diameter (or whatever diameter your sleeve is) and 7/8" depth (or as needed per the explanation above).

Insert a metal sleeve bushing into that oversized hole. The goal is for the sleeve to be at least flush with or just slightly proud of the face of the tile.

Here's an example. Not the perfect size or proportion, but a quick grab off the internet to define "metal sleeve":

Aluminum or copper is fine, if steel I recommend spot priming them for corrosion protection.

Install the sleeve into the oversized hole. Then install the hinge bracket. The sleeve will transfer the compression forces from the hinge brackets directly to the studs, bypassing the fragile tile, grout, and backer board.

Just an idea.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 12:05PM
geoffrey_b

The shower guy should be using a 'core drill' - this drills the outer circle of the hole. Using a carbide tipped drill bit can crack the tile.

The Brutus drill has a little resiviour that gets stuck to the wall with double faced tape. Then it gets filled with water, which cools the bit.

I've used it as a DIY'er for towel bars.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Core Drill

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 5:13PM
mongoct

My impression was that there is not a problem with drilling the holes, but that the cracking is occurring when the screws are tightened down.

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 5:27PM
millworkman

I would concur with mongo's assessment and fix..

Bookmark   August 9, 2013 at 6:26PM
bullielove

Here are some more pics. it is not cracking when they drill the holes, it is cracking when they are tightening the screws from what I understand.

Bookmark   August 13, 2013 at 9:57AM
Sfoster1

I am a professional shower door installer. I can give you my opinion on whats happening.
These hinges are supplied by CR lawrence. They come with a set of screws, and some plastic shields. It appears to me that the correct shields were not used. The holes in your tile are too small to revieve the screws provided. A screw is a wedge, and puts pressure on the surrounding materials. Small hole+big screw=crack

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 10:59AM
More Discussions
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Classic looking offset vanity top?
I'm planning out a bathroom remodel for a 1920s Craftsman...
resseger
Anyone installed a Geberit in wall tank?
DH is getting ready to do the install in a 2 x 4 wall,...
numbersjunkie
The towel ring and the towel bar
The last bit for my bathroom arrived today, a hand...
Linelle
108 year old claw foot tub stamped HYS
I've been having a very hard time trying to identify...
flippincrazy
Sponsored Products
Hand-Forged Iron Square Pyramid Clavos with 5/8" Nail - Set of 6
Signature Hardware
'Lawrence' Beige Kashan Hand-tufted Traditional Wool Rug (2'3 x 7'6)
Overstock.com
Maria Theresa Gold Six-Light 20-Inch Chandelier with Royal Cut Golden Teak Smoky
$682.00 | Bellacor
Sudden Insights Wallpaper
| Dot & Bo
Souldern Four-Light Bath Fixture
$224.40 | Bellacor
Persimmon Margarita Throw Pillow Cover
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Eliot Leather Loveseat - Brighton Zinc Beige
Joybird Furniture
WallsNeedLove Indian Tapestry Self-Adhesive Wallpaper Multicolor - WP91-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for: