How do I put a folder in the start menu?

leftwoodMarch 7, 2013

I have a new PC with Windows 7 and want to consolidate the start menu. I want to put all the shortcuts for Windows programs in one folder.

As the administrator, I have not found a way to add a new folder to the Left pain of the start menu.

An option that I can do is add the shortcuts to an existing start menu folder that I don't use. Then, I thought, I could rename the folder. But I haven't been able to rename a start menu folder. I am the administrator, and in fact the dialogue window prompts that it requires administrative permission, then asks if I want to continue. I click "continue", but the task isn't executed, and the name I enter doesn't replace the original.

Is there a solution?

Thanks
Rick

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DA_Mccoy

Have you tried:

Right click on the Desktop>New>Folder>drag and drop the new folder onto the START button

DA

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 11:30AM
emma

Not sure I understand what you want, but the one thing I missed from the version before W 7 was the quick launch. I found a solution you might be interested in. I went to my documents and put all of my game short cuts in a folder named games. Then I right clicked on the task bar, then on new tool bar and followed the path to the games folder I made. Now I have another version of the quick launch. I did the same with a folder named tools with the shortcuts I use often.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 1:52PM
leftwood

Thanks for your replies.
I had tried dragging a folder from the desktop to the already opened start menu which didn't work. But it never occurred to me to drag it to the start button!

Yes, that works. It puts the folder in the left pane of the start menu, but not with the "All Programs". I'm good with that.
Thank you!

Emma, your idea is a different, but useful method, too.

Bookmark   March 7, 2013 at 7:59PM
More Discussions
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
how do I bypass my login?
I recently took my HP laptop to Data Doctors and it...
cornsnake_lover
Changing HOUZZ page appearance
I use Chrome browser and have an extension called Change...
jean_mi_z5
Recommendations for free backup software
I used to have Retrospect Express as my backup software...
secsteve
Lenovo Preinstalls Malware on Laptops
On the Yahoo News Tech page today, February 19, 2015,...
haldd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™