Experience with pebble floor tile like StrataStones

mdispensaAugust 20, 2013

Does anyone have experience with installing and using "StrataStones" or a similar floor tile in a bathroom.
See http://www.stratastones.net/products/Glazed-Pastel-Green-Mosaic-Tile.html

I have a very small bathroom and would like to do the tiling myself. The sliced stone is on a 12x12 mesh and is 3/8" inch thick. Any tips on installation?

Also, how does it hold up? Would you do it again?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
christine40

don't have it yet, but we are installing a pebble floor (uncut pebbles) in our shower. It does have to be sealed. if that matters to you!

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 10:51AM
mongoct

I prefer that the floor be pitched a bit more than the minimum 1/4" per foot.

Because floors like this can be slower draining, I recommend using a topical membrane on the shower floor.

When you set the sheets, be careful about the "sheet-to-sheet" lines showing. Dry lay them. Step back. See if you can see the 12" by 12" sheet "pattern". Sometimes it helps to peel off some of the tiles from the edges of the sheets and rotate or reset them to better enmesh the neighboring sheets together, it'll eliminate any sheet pattern.

I recommend you consider using a grout darker than the color of the tile.

Use a sanded grout.

Be careful with cleanup that you don't rake the grout out of the grout joints, or the grout lines will hold water.

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 11:04AM
elphaba_gw

I LOVE pebble tile but every single picture I see on Houzz.com or elsewhere, I can always see the outline of the 12X12 mess background. As Mongo says, consider moving pebbles around on the edge. With a small area, that might be easier to do.
Here's an example of where I see the lines on the wall - not good IMO.

Modern Bathroom by Other Metro Photographers Elad Gonen & Zeev Beech

Bookmark   August 20, 2013 at 10:34PM
sweeby

I'd love to hear from people who have had pebble-tiles installed for a long time, particularly on a shower floor.

In particular, I'm wondering if you have had any problems with grout cracking? Hubby says that where grout lines are wider, cracking can be a problem. So I thought I'd check here for those who would know --

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 2:43PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

If sanded grout is used, cracking is not a problem. The extra slope bit by Mongo is spot on. They tend to not drain well otherwise.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 2:50PM
lisadlu

I have had a pebble shower floor for about 9 months and have not had any cracking grout (used sanded). I really love it! The tile guy took extra pains to lay the pebbles and the whole floor looks totally random.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 6:31PM
StoneTech

I might add that, the best pebbles to use are the ones that have a FLAT surface. More comfortable and they drain better!

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 6:35PM
sweeby

Excellent - thanks! And yes, definitely the flat ones. The rounded ones hurt my feet...

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 7:40PM
More Discussions
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Kerdi Shower Part Deux
Here's Part Deux. The original Kerdi Shower thread...
mongoct
Do offset sinks make you crazy?
in our new house build, I am thinking of doing an offset...
zorroslw1
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™