help with planning..

livvyandbellaAugust 11, 2013

I will be having the tub pulled out, and a walk-in shower put in. Should I have a bench installed, should I put a teak bench? Also, are their attractive safety bars?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

Kohler has some beautiful safety bars. There are others, Ginger comes to mind. Some are traditional in style with more elaborate turnings, while others are very contemporary.

Are you making a curbless shower, one that can be accessed by a wheelchair?

I think a bench would be very useful if you can get one to fit and still have room to maneuver.

If you have a bench installed, do you mean tiled in? if so make sure you have the depth you need to sit comfortably, front to back. Also I think that the seat needs to slant slightly towards the floor so that water drains off the seat. There are some beautiful teak seats. Some are free standing that can be pulled out. Others are installed on the wall and fold up out of the way. I have linked a Houzz search for Ipe shower seats.

I will be putting in a removable teak or ipe wood bench in my shower so I can take it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Houzz folding shower seats

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 7:08PM
livvyandbella

Enduring, thank you for linking me up to the Houzz site. WOW! I love them all. I think I would like the teak, attached to the wall, that you could flip up against wall. Not much room outside the shower, so I don't want to bother taking in and out.
I have just begun to plan. Both getting older, so trying to be practical, think of safety.
I am going back to look at all those bathrooms.
And, I will be looking at Koehler to see what they have for safety bars. Thanks, and will keep you posted.

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 8:50PM
enduring

You're welcome. I bet others will chime in with their thoughts on these topics. Important considerations.

I have to buy my grab bars yet for my current remodel project. But for my remodel I did last year, I got polished stainless steel. Looks almost like chrome. There is no texture on these and that might be something to consider. The fine crosshatching on the rail is called nurling.

Here are my Kohler grab bars in my first remodel:

Bookmark   August 11, 2013 at 9:18PM
More Discussions
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
Uberhaus Shower Column
Hello, I am looking for any feedback anyone can lend...
johnmaks
American Standard Town Square Toilet
Does anyone here have the American Standard Town Square...
mrsdindinbaby
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™