what size windows for 10 ft ceilings

abekkerJune 11, 2014

Please recommend how tall the windows should be with 10 ft ceilings and 9 ft ceilings upstairs. My architect put down 5'10 fot the 1st floor with 10 ft ceilings. To me that seems adequate for 9 ft ceilings, but not 10 . For the second floor with 9 ft ceilings the windows he selected are 4'5. Please advise. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Oaktown

Not advice, but I can tell you what we have.

1st floor with 10' ceiling: Windows ~5' with ~2' transom above. Windows in kitchen are shorter due to counter.

2nd floor with 8'6" plate (ceiling heights vary): Windows ~5'

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 7:50PM
sweet_tea_

We're in the middle of building and I can tell you what ours are. I don't have any 10' ceilings, however, mine are 9' and the windows are either 5' on the front elevation, or 6' on the rear. That seems like it will be fine, the only downside I can see so far is they are double hung and I can't reach the top to lower without a step stool, but I am not that tall. The 5' ones one the front I might have liked to be 5'6", but oh well, to late now.

In our living area we have 12' ceilings with 5'6" windows with a 2' transom. They are higher off the ground than the other windows on the rear elevation.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 8:58PM
millworkman

Whats the house look like as pictures would help.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 9:47PM
abekker

How far down from the ceilng are your windows being placed?
Thank you for your feedback.

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 10:41PM
Oaktown

Don't recall exactly, on the first floor I would guess somewhere between 4" and 7" from finished ceiling to the top of the glass in the transom (just enough for the trim).

Bookmark   June 11, 2014 at 11:05PM
okpokesfan

We have about the same size windows as your architect is suggesting in our 10' ceilings. We left ~2' at the bottom and ~2' at the top. Once you get the trim on, they seems even bigger than that.

Upstairs, they aren't that big (we have 9' ceilings upstairs) but I can't recall the dimensions.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 10:12AM
abekker

Thanks. I will try to see if going from 4'5 to 5' s a big price jump if not I will make all windows 5 and downstairs add a 1'5 transom.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 2:50PM
mushcreek

The transom will probably be a big price jump.

Our ceilings are 9' 6", and the windows are all about 18" from the ceiling, or 8' off of the floor. The windows in the kitchen and MBR are 56", One MBR window is 70", and the living room windows are 73". The kitchen windows are 56" so they would fit over the counter by a few inches, and one wall of the MBR has 56" windows for privacy. The taller window will have to have drapes for privacy.

We were going to do transoms over the kitchen windows, as I wanted to do stained glass inserts, but the cost was prohibitive, and our door/window budget was already stretched.

Window heights can be all over the place, depending upon the style of house. In FL, all of our windows were quite high off the floor; you had to stand up to look outside. It's nice to have at least some windows tall enough so you can see outside when seated. Don't get carried away; I think glass below 24" from the floor has to be tempered.

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 3:06PM
Oaktown

Maybe ask your architect for some elevations, if you post them I'm sure you could persuade folks to vote on options :-)

Bookmark   June 12, 2014 at 4:18PM
Harmon

Are these windows facing the front or back of the house?

We just finalized our design and our living room ceiling will also be 10'. Knowing that I was a fan of big windows and natural light our builder spec'd three 3' x 7' windows against the wall facing the patio & back yard. I've seen them in some of his other builds and really liked them. Wish we had a view of a creek or pond to look at, but you can't have everything on a budget. :)

Bookmark   June 14, 2014 at 4:44PM
abekker

Are your window tops aligning with the tops of the doors? It makes the window come down almost 2 ft off the ceiling? My architect says that's how it is usually done. 10 ft ceiling with 8 ft doors means windows will be 2 ft away from ceiling. Is that right?

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 10:41PM
Oaktown

Our first floor door tops (7' door) align with the window tops. Then there are transoms on the windows and exterior doors.

Bookmark   August 27, 2014 at 1:02AM
redheadeddaughter

We have 10' ceilings planned and the designer put in all the windows and doors at 8 feet. I changed that and added transoms above some doors to bring the cost down (8' doors are so expensive!) and if we had the budget, I think I would have added transoms on nearly every window instead of having them go up so high. Transoms are also very costly though, so that idea didn't stick. But I love light! So having the top sash being up so high is a good compromise for me. If you are thinking about mixing up the heights of windows and doors, you can take a loot at some of Allison Ramsey's designs. I think she does a good job of combining them!

Bookmark   September 4, 2014 at 5:06PM
More Discussions
Nantahala / Amicalola / Tranquility / Garrell and Associates hous
My husband and I have been planning our new house for...
DivinityMorgan
House plan design (suggestions/advice)??
Please refer to the ⬆sketch only. (Please refer to...
cherieab
Master Bedroom Floorplan Review
Hello, I am currently working on building a new house...
mary8153
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
After building....items you wish you would have thought of..
Hello, for those of you that built a house. After...
einajr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™