Wireless Router Recommendations

secsteveMarch 1, 2012

Comcast tech replaced our modem and indicated that our Belkin router is likely causing some of our problems. The router is old and he suggested getting a new wireless router. We have two computers (one MAC and one PC) in the same room and all we use them for is email and surfing the net. He said Linksy, Cisco and NetGear are all good brands.

I went to Best Buy to check on what they had and the ones the salesperson recommended have terrible reviews on line.

I'd be grateful for any advice/help from you folks as I've never been steered wrong.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iowagirl2006

I had a Cisco router that never would work right with all of our Apple devices. I updated firmware, and that still didn't help. Had to power cycle it all the time to get everything working.

Finally gave up and bought a Belkin and everything works great. Belkin N450. Got it at WalMart for $50.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 9:01AM
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I agree wuith iowagirl regarding Cisco router - we had one that was absolutely worthless. Love the Netgear WNDR 3400 - works with the MacBook Pro, a Windows XP netbook, and a desktop Windows 7 pc.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 12:35PM
owbist

I have used Linksys, Netgear and Dlink with good results.

As you appear to have nothing wireless now I would urge you to make sure it is an 'n' designation which is the most current I believe. Don't let them talk you into a 'g' because it might be cheaper. That way you are prepared when you decide to go with anything that needs a wi-fi connection.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 12:43PM
kudzu9

I've used various models of Linksys and Belkin over the years and both have been fine. If you get one from Costco, return will be easy if you have a problem. Alternatively, just go with something on Amazon that gets mainly positive reviews.

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 6:59PM
juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl

I added a Linksys E1200 Wireless-N Router 7 months ago, the first router I've ever had. The installation was unbelievably easy.

It's probably available in your local stores at $50-55, or you can get it from Amazon for $30. There are over 1000 reviews of it on Amazon, a large majority of them positive.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linksys router

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 8:07AM
secsteve

Thanks all. I really appreciate your input.

I'm leaning towards the Belkin N600 Wireless Dual Band router. I currently own a Belkin and have never had any trouble with it, so figure I'll stick with what I'm happy with.

The downside is all of the reviews without fail mention how bad tech support is no matter what brand you get. I wonder when companies are going to wise up and realize that is one reason folks don't buy their equipment.

Bookmark   March 17, 2012 at 8:42AM
big_al_41

I thought Comcast gave you a router when you go with them ...???

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Adobe flash player and pdf reader installation on Win8
I have a new Win 8 touch screen laptop. I've been using...
hald
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
What a mess!
My user name on this forum is/was Tosh has been for...
Tosh
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™