Does anyone have a 30" Thermador gas cooktop?

MarinaGalJuly 9, 2013

Hoping someone can help... we have a 6 month old 30" Thermador gas cooktop - ours is the model with 4 burners (one 16K BTU, two 10K BTU, and one 8K BTU). Because I also have a two burner Wolf induction cooktop which I love to use for boiling water/cooking pasta, it took me a few months to realize that my Thermador cooktop wasn't as powerful as my old GE profile range (with lower BTU burners). Specifically, I realized that I couldn't bring any pot of cooking pasta to a fast boil, and certainly not a fast enough to boil over. Even on my 9K btu GE profile burner I always had to watch to make sure nothing would boil over. I had my appliance store and plumber come check the cooktop, flame, hook-up and gas pressure and all seemed appropriate.

In addition to the fact that I can't get a fast boil on any of the burners (including the 16K BTU burner) - not even fast enough to get all of the pasta off the bottom of the pot - the cooking time on my pasta is always longer than the package indicates by several minutes or more, which leads me to believe that there is a problem.

I am going to call Thermador, but wonder if anyone here can comment or has had a similar problem with a gas cooktop.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakvis

When using a pot make sure your flame is not spreading around the edge of the pan rather than to the bottom of the pan.

I sometimes demonstrate to customers that a smaller burner that puts the heat to the bottom of the pan will boil water faster than a bigger burner that sends the heat more to the sides.

As a general rule,
The bigger the burner the larger your pan base should be. If the flames are wrapping around the sides of the base the pan is too small for that burner.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 5:56PM
MarinaGal

Jakvis - thanks so much for responding. I am careful to size my pan to the flame and burner so that the flames aren't spreading. I really think something is wrong with the cooktop or the gas line, but am at a loss to figure it out. I need to find an appliance store that has one of these cooktops live (the appliance store I purchased from does not at present) and do a direct comparison. This cooktop is supposed to be more powerful than my old GE profile range and it just isn't... ugh.

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 10:40PM
dalf18

Any resolution on this? I'm thinking of getting the same cooktop.

Bookmark   October 17, 2013 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Noxious new oven smell ??
Our new Electrolux wave-touch double oven is wonderful,...
infohound2006
Wall oven caution - IKEA/Nutid/Datid/Whirlpool
This post is meant to steer people away from IKEA Nutid,...
detroit_burb
thermador vs electrolux/frigidare freezer
Help! To save money and get more usable space in a...
houztongirl
smallest microwave (width) ever ? Please advise
I'm looking for the smallest microwave in terms of...
Pippin
hood suggestions for 36" 6 burner bluestar?
i have searched til my fingers are blue for a 36"...
lilmagil1
Sponsored Products
Anolon Nouvelle Copper Stainless Steel 3.5-Quart Covered Straining Saucepan - Gr
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Aroma Double-burner Hotplate
Overstock.com
Home Decorators Collection Cooktops 30x34.5x24 in. Cooktop Base Cabinet with
Home Decorators Collection
Sunpentown SC-889 10 Cup Stainless Steel Rice Cooker and Steamer - SC-889
$89.99 | Hayneedle
Ovente BG44S Portable Ceramic Infrared Cooktop
Overstock.com
Anolon Nouvelle Copper Nonstick 3.5-Quart Covered Straining Saucepan - Gray Mult
$69.99 | Hayneedle
Sunpentown SS-301 Multi Cooker Shabu-Shabu & Grill - SS-301
$42.69 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Collection Cooktops 30x34.5x24 in. Dartmouth Assembled Cooktop
Home Decorators Collection
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™