Shower design for ease of cleaning

MollymyCatAugust 21, 2013

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am beginning the process of designing a new master bath and I would like to use a curb-less shower plan. I would like to enclose the shower for warmth, but because I know my husband will not wipe down the walls or the glass and I am concerned about spotting and etching. Even if I clean it daily it will go hours without wiping it down. Any ideas? Is there a glass with a finish that sheds water better? Will marble walls will be ruined?

Thanks for taking the time to help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
divotdiva

I have designed ours as a walk-in, curbless, no doors or curtain. If you have space that may be a better option than glass. You could extend radiant heat under the tile in the shower pan to keep it warmer and install a whisper-warm fan like Panasonic's.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 2:56AM
tracie.erin

I believe I've heard here that you can treat the shower glass with an product meant for car windowshields. The water then sluices off much more easily and does leave spots.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 1:30PM
gabbythecat

We are doing the same thing as you are - met with the glass company and the tile company yesterday. The glass is going to be coated with something called Hydroseal, which helps the water slide off easily. It is also not clear glass - has a design that allows light to come in, but won't show fingerprints, etc as easily as clear glass would. The textured side of the glass will be on the outside of the shower - make it easier to keep clean. We are using large tiles around the lower half - 12 x 12, with smaller accent tiles above - larger tiles should be easier to clean.

We are NOT doing a door, partly for accessibility and also because I can never get the area around the door frame clean. I might keep a squeegy mounted near the shower to make cleaning more of an easy, routine thing.

Bookmark   August 21, 2013 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Vanity from CabinetDIY - FYI
Just an FYI: we started to build the vanity from a...
melle_sacto
Vote Now on Color Plan 1, 2, or 3!
I have been planning the bathroom remodel for two years...
nancyinmich
My afterthought bathroom REVEAL
I was doing a major remodel on a guest bathroom and...
shappy22
Anyone seen Hydroban board for sale?
Can't seem to find it anywhere. Can't tell if that's...
cataan
Replacing The Hideous Blue Bathroom
I started removing the tile from the tub surround....
christina222_gw
Sponsored Products
Alloy Deco Surf Gray 5/8 X 5/8
$16.99 | TileBar
DreamLine Prism 36-1/8 x 36-1/8 Frameless Pivot Shower Enclosure
Overstock.com
Victorian Wallmount Clawfoot Bath Tub Faucet
Overstock.com
Groton Old Bronze Semi Flush
$536.00 | Bellacor
Modern Freestanding Thermostatic Tub Shower Mixer Faucet Wall Bracket
Hudson Reed