Vapour barrier under backerboard or

alan_s_thefirstAugust 9, 2012

waterproofing treatment OVER backerboard? (Kerdi, Redgard etc?) so many choices...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you do a search, you will find many threads on this topic.

You'll find some posts describing how my DH did our shower and tub surrounds. He used Hardibacker (cement board) for the shower/tub walls, and then Hydroban rolled over it. The Hydroban was very easy to apply according to DH (he did 3 coats).

I believe either way is an option, but I am sure our resident experts will weigh in as well (Bill V., mongoct....).

    Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 11:22AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I think it's best to have the waterproofing as close to the finished surface as possible, so that means a surface applied waterproofer, like Kerdi, Hydroban, Redguard, etc.

    Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 12:50PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Thanks to both. Terriks, I'm inclined to agree - a vapour barrier would seem a last resort, being right next to the wood you're trying to protect.

    Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 12:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Answered on your other post.

    Bookmark   August 9, 2012 at 10:13PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
Walls are blue with red and royal blue towels white...
Shower drain installed off-center in subfloor - how to fix? Urgent...
Well back to the (new & improved?) Gardenweb. I...
Suggestions - Eliminating Jack and Jill Bath in New Construction
Looking for suggestions on eliminating a Jack and Jill...
Tile install question
I've been posting a lot about our upcoming master bath...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™