AVASoft Antivirus Professional

sneakerMarch 29, 2013

Hello, I need help with removing a virus from my computer. Its called AVASoft Antivirus Professional. It is constantly displaying messages and warnings, like this one "Warning!
Application cannot be executed. The file taskmgr.exe infected.
Please activate your antivirus software"

I know its not a real antivirus program because i haven't downloaded it, nor buy it.

How do i remove it? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
owbist

Go to this Bleepingcomputer page and follow those instructions.

Bleepingcomputer is a very reliable site and has been around seemingly forever so you will be safe there.

Bookmark   March 29, 2013 at 7:04AM
sneaker

thank you so much, i followed all the steps shown there and now my computer is clean, hopefully.
But one thing is worrying me, i read in this article (http://www.americanpendulum.com/2013/03/20/avasoft-antivirus-professional/) that this infection makes some changes in the computer registry, how do i know if there is nothing left, for sure?
I have now downloaded an antivirus program, and when i scan my pc, it says that there are no viruses.
thanks again for your help, owbist!

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 5:56AM
owbist

Regarding things left in the registry that might well be true. However with the program removed the registry entries have nothing to control so become basically dormant.

You say you have now installed an anti virus program. Is this a pure A/V or a combo A/V and anti malware? If only an A/V program you would be well advised to install an anti malware as well. The popular free program these days is Malwarebytes.

If you are interested it can be downloaded from here. If you go elsewhere be sure you are downloading a legit version because the bad guys have spoofed this program. Also watch carefully if you install that you remove any check marks for toolbars or other stuff you may not want cluttering up your computer.

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 7:01AM
More Discussions
My computer just got infected - what to do ASAP
I clicked on a website that I was familiar with but...
debo_2006
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
Changing HOUZZ page appearance
I use Chrome browser and have an extension called Change...
jean_mi_z5
how do I bypass my login?
I recently took my HP laptop to Data Doctors and it...
cornsnake_lover
Lenovo Preinstalls Malware on Laptops
On the Yahoo News Tech page today, February 19, 2015,...
haldd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™