Ice on back panel of refrigerator only unit

frontJuly 27, 2014

Viking
Model Number: VCRB5301

The unit is a refrigerator only; it does not have a freezer. There are two evaporators in the refrigerator. There is a small on on the bottom that goes to a fresh food bin and the main one at the top. The bottom one is supplied first from the cap tube. There is not a defrost system in the unit (no heater, etc.). I was looking through the tech sheet, and it states that the unit will run 100 percent of the time, if the thermistor is shorted. If it is open, it will not run at all. Both sides of the evap (where the u bends are) were encased in ice. The thermistor was also encased in ice. I would think that the refrigerator would have cycled off from this, but it didn't. There is also a clixon on the back panel next to the evap. I could not find it on the wiring diagram. The bi-metal section faces the refrigerator section. I placed it on a block of ice and could not get it to close.

My only conclusions at this point are that it is either an issue with the thermistor or the unit is low on refrigerant and gradually building ice from the bottom evap up to the top. What are your thoughts on the issue?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brightm

I have zero experience with this on a fridge and didn't understand a lot about what you said, but when my A/C didn't work earlier this summer, that happened to the outside unit. The A/C would run, but it wasn't producing cold, just the fan was blowing. The guy initially had cleaned out the outside unit and left. When I called and said it was still just blowing warm air, he asked if the pipe leaving the outdoor unit was iced up. Yep. Then he came and cleaned out the indoor unit. I replace the filter more often than recommended because we have two big, fluffy dogs. The filters/baffles/screens whatever inside the indoor unit were covered in fur and sludge.

Don't know if that translates to your issue, but the iced up part made me think that it might be helpful.

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 1:04AM
More Discussions
Does Wolf M-Series Double Oven come with Temperature Probe?
If yes, great. If not, does anyone know how much the...
wcutiew
ELECTROLUX ICON FREESTANDING DUAL-FUEL RANGE or KITCHEN AID
I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding...
AreBe
Blue star electric wall oven w/ French doors
I ordered my wall oven and 30" RNB range 8 weeks...
Debbi Branka
Help installing power cord to 48inch dual wolf range
I'm trying to install the power cord, not sure how...
rubyrashel
Wolf is increasing the BTUs on front burners
When I called the Wolf showroom in Atlanta, I was told...
charon70
Sponsored Products
28 Inch Glossy Anthracite Bathroom Vanity Set
TheBathOutlet
Vertical Wall-Mount Brass Mailbox with Viewing Panel - Antique Brass
Signature Hardware
Single-Piped Outdoor Chair Cushion
$65.00 | FRONTGATE
Dolphin Outdoor Recliner with Cushion, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Safavieh Runner Rug: Chelsea Blue 2.5' x 4'
$69.97 | Home Depot