Vanity - White or Stained? Help!

blackchamoisAugust 20, 2012

I am almost done with my guest bath renovation and I am debating whether to have my new vanity painted white, or stained. And if stained, what color? (I am thinking a warm/darker brown, but probably not as dark as espresso.) Thoughts?

Here are the details of the guest bath:

White subway tile with border of penny rounds at the top as well as in the niche

Floor tiles are a cream/tanish color

Walls are painted BM Bleeker Beige at 50%

I would like to do a Cararra marble counter (regardless of vanity color)

Vanity will have shaker door style

I have a hard time photographing the bathroom because it is so small. It is very difficult to get an angle that captures it well. This is the best I could get (excuse the mess - it is presently serving as my prep area while my kitchen is being remodeled).

Additional info:

My kitchen cabs will be white shaker, as well as the laundry room cabinets and the linen closet (which is right outside the guest bathroom)

I would love to get some advice/suggestions. Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

What about painting the cabinet a beige that is somewhat darker than your walls Or in the general tone of the penny round tiles. Something med in color. I think the room at this point has subtile contrast and doing a med color cabinet would help keep the contrast in that range yet still "pop". Unless you want it to really stand out then I think you will need to bring in other elements into the mix that are dark such as towels and a rug to help balance the cabinet's darkness.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 7:06AM
blackchamois

Well, I am already driving myself nuts try to pick paint colors. If I have to pick another, I think it just might send me over the edge :)

I was thinking of something along the lines of this ...

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 12:01PM
enduring

That's a great inspiration picture. The darker mirror frame, pendant, and picture frame tie in very nicely with the vanity. Your bath has an attractive blend of tile and accent, it sure looks like you could work in the warm dark wood.

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 8:04PM
treasuretheday

Definitely the warm dark wood... I love your inspiration picture!

Bookmark   August 20, 2012 at 9:36PM
may_flowers

The Portland Street of Dreams used a white vanity with dark wood mirrors. I thought it was a good way to bring the dark element into a small bath. It mimics the trend to mix dark wood with white cabinets in the kitchen. The hardware and lighting is also dark.

It's at the top of page 3 in Annz' link.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg08010754409.html?12

Bookmark   August 21, 2012 at 9:31AM
blackchamois

Thanks for the feedback! I've asked the cabinet guy to do a sample for me of the stain in the inspiration pic. I'll keep you posted :)

MayFlowers - I've considered the white cabs and darker framed mirror. I really that idea too! Thanks for sharing Annz' link :)

I wish I could find a way to photograph the space better, but it's just a little awkward and the lighting make the paint look a little pinkish in the pic.

Bookmark   August 22, 2012 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
Thoughts on Corian for shower threshold, top of bench, etc?
Does this hold up well as a solid slab on top of a...
risforremodel
Kerdi Shower Part Deux
Here's Part Deux. The original Kerdi Shower thread...
mongoct
Can you offer links to online Tile Retailers?
Just wanted to get a start at looking at tile. Anyone...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Are there any materials that make the bathroom difficult to clean?
If you get a glass door for a shower, is that difficult...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Wood Beadboard on the walls outside the shower?
I was reading an article on saving money on tile, by...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™