Compact fridge for a dorm

gmp3July 9, 2012

Son is headed to college and wants a fridge (better than a tv IMHO). The problem with most mini fridges is that the freezer stinks. I found these 2 models which appear to have real freezers and was wondering if anyone had experience with them.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-2-Door-Refrigerator-Freezer/19715196

http://www.sears.com/kenmore-3.1-cu-ft-2-door-compact-refrigerator/p-04695683000P

I saw the Kenmore one and am not impressed with the door storage. He drinks lots of milk.

i don't want to spend more than $160.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

Does a freezer really matter in a dorm fridge? You don't put beer in a freezer although you can with vodka :-)

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 12:55PM
gmp3

Good point Weissman, however, obviously MY kid won't be drinking in college, perhaps his roommate will have bad habits though. ;-).

Hot pockets and frozen pizza are both good with beer though, if you are a college kid.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 1:26PM
weedmeister

Teach him about defrosting.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 2:23PM
clinresga

Hey all: I'm resurrecting this post since we're also in the market. For me, issues are mainly price under $200. Don't think a full freezer is a must. Looking at AJ Madison I see these brands:
Avanti, Danby, GE Spacemaker, Frigidaire, Supentown. Summit. Add Magic Chef and Haier from Home Depot. Kenmore from Sears.

Is there any demonstrable advantage to any of these? I suspect they probably all come out of the same factory in China anyway. Or, any reason to spend more for either greater reliability or performance? Or just grab one and hope for the best?

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 11:49AM
corgimum

We bought one at Lowes last summer that was $99 on sale and it did the job. I wouldn't pay a lot for one. It was a 3.3 cu foot model. They should be going on sale shortly if they haven't already.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 11:11AM
jgopp

Just buy one off craigslist. There are tons of those little things floating around. Can't be hard to find one for $50 bucks barely used.

Bookmark   July 27, 2012 at 2:29PM
More Discussions
Keep your fingers crossed -Wolfie oven having DCL circuit error again!
So my Wolf has avoided the dreaded porcelain chipping...
a2gemini
Appliance Budget -$15k. How to spend?
We have $15k in our appliance allowance. We need a...
dcnatfan
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
steam damage to cabinets from steam oven or warming drawer?
When we had a kitchenaid dishwasher, the hot moist...
houztongirl
Capital Culinarian Huge Problems - HORRIBLE customer service!
I bought a Culinarian because of what I read here on...
explauren
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™