Unfinished punch list advice

JMphotoJune 25, 2012

Hi Everyone, I need some advice on an unfinished punch list. We had horrible dealings with our builder as some of you may remember. Well, I am still dealing with it. We moved into the home mid September. I am still owed a couple things. A re-do on the poor/sloppy stucco job on the back of the home, a repair on the tub that scratched during install and a breaker that keeps popping. I have left numerous messages for the builder and sometimes I get a call back, sometimes I don't. He always gives me the usual stories that the sub for stucco is tied up on another job etc. I don't have money for a lawyer and the cost of what he owes me is maybe a total of $5000. I was just going to go and file a claim with our local district court. I have all things documented including a running diary of dates and times of phone messages, emails etc. Any advice? We are coming up on our one year warranty, so I wanted to get it taken care of by then.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
minneapolisite

Depending on your local small claims court rules, this may be a case for small claims court. (I think my local limits are $7500, yours may be similar.)

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 3:41PM
millworkman

Well you can take him to court and wait a year or so to have the guy who either a) did a poor job to start with or b) pay someone else to fix it correct keep the receipts and have him pay you the money back. Chances are you will not see the money nor if he did that lousy a job to start with you may not want he nor his subs back to finish. And if he is ordered to do so by the court I doubt he will do a good job on the punchlist since he will not want to be there to start with. Again not saying what he is doing is correct or ethical but if he were ethical he would have finished long before this

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 4:11PM
kirkhall

What about his Bond?

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 4:46PM
jln1980

File a claim with the better business bureau.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
Windows question
How is this look achieved? Are these casement windows? What...
ILoveRed
Over thinking or detailed
We have not even poured the slab yet, and I find myself...
ourgeorgiahouse
Open Cell Attic Insulation. No baffles/No vapor barrier?
We are in Chicago and are putting on an addition that...
snkscore
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
Nantahala / Amicalola / Tranquility / Garrell and Associates hous
My husband and I have been planning our new house for...
DivinityMorgan
Sponsored Products
George Kovacs | Angle 3-Light Bath Light
$118.00 | YLighting
Nugget Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
One-Light Rounded Black Outdoor Upward Wall Lantern with Clear Beveled Glass
$60.00 | Bellacor
A & L Furniture Western Red Cedar Folding Ottoman - 670C-UNFINISHED
$129.99 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Collection Outdoor Lanterns. Leeds Wall-Mount 9 in. Outdoor Myst
$37.80 | Home Depot
Flos | KTribe Outdoor F3 Floor Lamp
YLiving.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™